Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: timing of testing for FC and CC

1. Back To Top    #1

timing of testing for FC and CC

I have read a few threads about the time it takes for the reactions to occur when testing for FC and CC with the TF100 and similar kits. And I have observed the return of the pink color given a bit of time after the color change is complete. I wanted to be sure I understood the most proper way to test. As I currently understand, you need to complete the FC test in a minute or less. And for the CC test, you keep waiting for the pink to return until the color change holds for a minute., i.e. add drops until it is clear, wait a minute, if the pink returns, add more drops and wait again, and keep doing that until the pink does not return. Is that correct?
    30,000 gal IG 20x40 8ft deep end vinyl liner in NE Ohio DOB Sept 2012
    Hayward 4820 DE filter, Hayward SP2610x15 1.5HP single speed pump
    Hayward H400FDN natural gas heater, Frog min'l/Cl2 system (not in use)
    autocover, Dolphin DX4 cleaner, well water, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: timing of testing for FC and CC

I'm not sure where you read that, but no. Once the FC test is done, you immediately add the R0003 and see if it turns pink again. If it it does, you titrate again until it's clear and count the results as on the first round to get a new (CC) number. Don't wait around between, or after tests to see if pink returns, but do make sure you are done with the FC before proceeding to CC. Begin, and complete both tests, without delays, and you are done.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought I was reading about the speed of some of the reactions for the testing of the CC - but I have read so much over the last few weeks that it is starting to blur together

Thanks
    30,000 gal IG 20x40 8ft deep end vinyl liner in NE Ohio DOB Sept 2012
    Hayward 4820 DE filter, Hayward SP2610x15 1.5HP single speed pump
    Hayward H400FDN natural gas heater, Frog min'l/Cl2 system (not in use)
    autocover, Dolphin DX4 cleaner, well water, TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

If there is significant CC, then there can be a "bleed-through" of it into the FC test if you wait too long. Dissolved oxygen can lead to interference though usually the test kit controls the pH to minimize this. So when measuring in both tests, you don't want to wait and when you get to clear that holds even for a few seconds you are done with that part of the test. However, the CC test won't resolve some of the CC quickly especially if the water sample is cold. While monochloramine will register quickly, dichloramine can take longer (I'm not sure about chlorourea). So there is value to warming up the sample to at least room temperature and you could see in the CC test what happens after waiting for one minute but need not wait any longer than that.

Note that DPD reacts with sunlight so you don't want to do your test in the sun.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"