Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Does This Spider Valve Look

1. Back To Top    #1

Falls Church, VA

How Does This Spider Valve Look

I started a thread trying to sort out my leak. I've narrowed it down to the spider valve. So, I'm starting this thread to see if the experts think my gasket looks worn enough for replacement. It's a crappy picture so the tiny pieces of leaf at 11 o'clock and 3 o'clock look like gasket damage but they're not. The gasket did "flake" a little when I ran my finger over it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11.5k gal, IG Plaster (2001), 1.5 HP Pentair Ultra-Flow Pump, Purex Triton FNS Plus 60 sqft DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Does This Spider Valve Look

I'm no expert, but I had to replace my spider gasket last year because it started leaking water out the waste when it was on filter. I have a sand filter though. Don't know about DE filter. Maybe someone else with more experience will help you out.
    18x36 IG, Vinyl, 20K Gal., Sand Filter, 1HP pool pump, 3/4HP slide pump, Taylor k-2006.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Seattle, WA

Re: How Does This Spider Valve Look

It's very difficult to judge a spider gasket from it's looks although the flaking you mention is an indicator it's not up to par. If you suspect you have a leaky spider, it's just best to change it.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.