Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from England

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from England

Hi all,

A quick hello and thank you from the UK. I recently moved to a house with a pool, a bit rare in the UK, and have had a bit of a steep learning curve but with the help of the threads here I'm (hopefully) getting there.

Many thanks again,

Nick

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from England

Hello Nick, and welcome! Very happy you found us here. Lots of great people who enjoy helping other pool owners, so visit any time. Take notes of the links in our signatures as they will help give you some vital information as well.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

You may not be able to get a TFTestkits TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 kit where you live (I presume shipping there from here will be awfully expensive), but I believe you should be able to find a Palintest SP 315C that will be almost good enough (it's similar to a Taylor K-2005). If you find one, then you can ask Palintest if they can also get you their SP 300 FAS-DPD chlorine test that they (used to) sell in the U.S. though this might be discontinued. I've just E-mailed Palintest to see what's up with their kits since Taylor isn't available in many countries overseas.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

I think this is the most recent thread. Keep us updated what you find. Test kits in the UK

Also, if there are any farm supply stores around, they probably sell high-strength Sodium Hypochlorite as dairy barn sanitizer. Look for Red Label Hypochlorite. As long as the ingredients are only sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide (lye) and water, it's the stuff you want.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Very interesting Richard. In my hunt for high test ch I never considered the ag angle. Learn something new every day.

Ryan
    41' x 16' x 5' IG, 25 000 gallon, cement, tile w/epoxy grout. Overflow/negative edge style. Pentair 4048 DE, Hayward 2 hp Single Speed, Pentair 320 Auto Chlorinator, 1.5 hp Blower f/Jacuzzi, TF-100, city/well (in pool) water option. Located in Panama.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi UKnick. I'm also in Hampshire, let me know if you are interested in getting one of the test kits recommended, i have a friend in the US and can get it hand carried over in August.
    Chris - Annika's papa

9x18 Intex ultra AGP 4500 gallon, 3200gph intex 1hp pump with 16" sandfilter, abs hardpiped, hayward skimmer, Intex SWG, 11kw heater, LaMotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome Nick!

The curve isn't too bad to get over, I promise. Read the fundamentals first (ABCs) and work from there. We are here to help when you have questions.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you all and my apologies for not replying sooner, it has been a bit busy recently.

Well I'm certainly learning. I've done the dreaded sand change on my filter, changed the spider gasket and gone from green to blue but I think the multi port needs a new spring.

I like the look of those test kits, I'll certainly look into them. Chris (AnnikaF) guess what I'm also in Southampton so I'll probably take you up on your kind offer. Must dash as my daughter is about to launch into the pool.