Newbie needing a little guidance

May 14, 2015
Paphos, Cyprus
OK, so we've now moved into our house (renting) and getting to grips with a pool for the first time, and having a few issues that need sorting. I have added some basic info in my sig, so far as I know them, but will add more when I have located the appropriate information.

The pool has been 'looked after' by a friend of the landlords while the house has been empty (since March) and it looks OK to me and we have been in a few times with no ill effects. We do appear to be having an issue with air in the system, which a neighbour told us had been a problem even when the landlords actually lived in the house themselves a few years ago. The previous tenant did virtually no maintenance at all and also caused issues which required patios to be dug up to replace/repair piping. This will need to be looked at further, although we have had a pool guy here a couple of times already and he gave us some basic advice what to do - for the last couple of mornings the jets have not worked when the pump started, so hubby had to go and fill the pump chamber, do a recirculate, then the water came gushing out of one return then calmed down and behaved normally.

Aside from that, I have been looking for the necessary test kit, having only been using a simple one left in the pump house - with yellow and red reagents - and test strips. I contacted someone in the UK, from where a TFP member who lives in Spain ordered a LaMotte 7022 kit, and he forwarded my request to a local pool company that imports these kits. So good news is that I can nip down the road and get one. While this fella was on the phone, he did mention a kit that he said was better, being that we have hard water here in Cyprus, which was the ColorQ Pro7, as it did not involve counting drops and I would need to count a lot with the 7022. Any thoughts on this before I go ahead?

I will take some photos later today, and give more info on some other issues, one being the pull of the skimmers (one does not appear to be doing much, and the other has quite a vortex going on).

Thank you.

I should say that the combined tri-chlor tabs are what appears to have been used previously, and what we are using now. There are also tubs of pH+ and pH- but not sure how old they are.

I have not yet found out whether I can obtain bulk bleach here yet, but maybe I won't need huge amounts, if we can keep the pool as recommended here.

we would love to see a pic of this pool! It should pretty

You do not want too much bleach at one time. I buy 10 gals at a time. It comes in 4 2.5 gal jugs. This last me for almost 2 weeks depending on the weather.

Bleach loses strength from time and heat so............

Good for you for looking for a good test kit. The number one thing you need to check is the CYA due to the use of pucks. Good luck finding one!

Kim

Thanks Kim.

I did a test with some strips in the meantime, and CYA appears to be reading at 100 or thereabouts.

Other readings with the strips were:
pH 7.5
FC 3 -5 range
TA 120

I will get hold of a good kit, but someone has pointed out that the ColorQ Pro7 would be better than the LaMotte 7022, but I would like confirmation on that.

I've read that liquid shock can take the place of bleach - is that correct?

I do not know about the test kits. Do a search on here and I bet there will be some good thread to help you there.

Liquid shock is chlorine is bleach. Just make sure to look at the % AND the date code. Old bleach is a waste of money as it has lost it's punch.

Kim

Just a few photos of the pool and pump equipment, and hopefully next week I can get hold of the test kit and really see what's happening. Overall, the pool does not look too bad, but we do have a guy coming tomorrow (hopefully) to sort out why we keep getting air in the system.

We have a bit of an issue with the Hibiscus hedge dropping dead flowers - other leaves and petals blow in from a hedge to the right, round the side of the house
DSCF1051_zpstrx0jcmc.jpg

Two skimmers on the far side, with the vac attachment in the middle, just below the 'DEEP' indicator
DSCF1054_zps0zfu2exg.jpg

One return is towards the left of the image, the other at the far end beyond the steps
DSCF1053_zps0w0xjwh3.jpg

Can see OK to the bottom of the deep end
DSCF1052_zpsctxfs2qz.jpg

There is some long-standing black (algae?) in the tile grout in places
DSCF1065_zpsuvib9ses.jpg

The pump room
DSCF1055_zpskzvjuczc.jpg

DSCF1056_zps7hcnkajw.jpg

We have been advised to leave the drain on the half way setting
DSCF1058_zpsv5zaye0f.jpg

Welcome Diane! :wave: Kim will help keep you straight. :) Before your pool technician shows-up, I thought you may want to read-up on this page for Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks. At least this way you will be able to relate to anything he/she says when they start describing "their" thoughts on what could be wrong. Enjoy your weekend.

That is one PRETTY pool! WOWER! LOVE the dolphins!

Do you have any chlorine pucks? If you do you can put one on the grout lines that has the black "algae". If it is algae the puck should lighten it up. If it does not do any thing you can crush up some vitamin C tablets, put them in a sock and put that on the stains. If that lightens or removes that tells tells you it is is a metal stain.

I wonder how long it took them to put all of the tiles in? Such work!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, we will soon get the hang of this, I'm sure!

Been reading some threads about the test kits - it appears the ColorQ Pro7 has some mixed reviews, although I am leaning towards that one rather than the LaMotte 7022.

I have both the Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 and the TF100 test kits. As I have posted in another thread, here are my side by side readings from a week or so ago:

Day 1:
Lamotte - FCL=5.88, TCL=5.96, PH=7.4, TA=76, CH=222, CYA=59
TF-100 - FCL=8.0, TCL=8.0, PH=7.5, TA=90, CH=375, CYA=45

Day 2:
Lamotte - FCL=6.36, TCL=6.47, PH=7.3, TA=69, CH=221, CYA=63
TF-100 - FCL=9.5, TCL=9.5, PH=7.4, TA=90, CH=350, CYA=45

Day 3:
Lamotte - FCL=6.65, TCL=6.79, PH=7.5, TA=66, CH=216, CYA=58
TF-100 - FCL=10.0, TCL=10.0, PH=7.7, TA=80, CH=350, CYA=40

Day 4:
Lamotte - FCL=6.81, TCL=6.81, PH=7.3, TA=59, CH=221, CYA=62
TF-100 - FCL=9.0, TCL=9.0, PH=7.4, TA=70, CH=325, CYA=40

You can see that the Lamotte is reading consistently lower than the TF-100 for Chlorine, TA and CH and consistently higher on CYA. Based on all that I have read on this forum, the Lamotte is not as accurate (as far as correctness in reading) than what the TF-100 gives due to the testing method. Once my chlorine level comes down a bit, the two testers may come more in line with each other, but I'm leaning towards believing the TF-100 over the Lamotte results. I find the Lamotte useful in that the testing is super quick and since I know that is reads higher or lower on some tests, I can still use it as a quick and dirty way to detect upward or downward drift in the various levels and use the TF-100 when I need actionable results.

I don't think I can get hold of the TF100 here in Cyprus, so it will have to be a LaMotte kit, as that is what is imported here, but if the ColorQ Pro 7 is a little out in its readings, then the 7022 would probably be the better choice, and it's cheaper.

That is one PRETTY pool! WOWER! LOVE the dolphins!

Do you have any chlorine pucks? If you do you can put one on the grout lines that has the black "algae". If it is algae the puck should lighten it up. If it does not do any thing you can crush up some vitamin C tablets, put them in a sock and put that on the stains. If that lightens or removes that tells tells you it is is a metal stain.

I wonder how long it took them to put all of the tiles in? Such work!

Kim

Thanks, Kim. We have some pucks, but they are 'multi-action', so have other stuff in as well. I am guessing that's why the CYA levels are getting a little high! Hubby has been in with a stiff brush and got loads of the black off already, so it's a question of keeping at it, I suppose.

OK, did some more readings today, using two different brands of test strips, as each of them records one reading the other doesn't. For the common readings; FC, pH, and TA, both strips were about the same. Then one brand also records the TC, and the other records the CYA.

FC 1
TC 3
pH 7.5
TA 80
CYA 100

How can I keep the FC up without also increasing the CYA, as is obviously happening with the combined tablets we're using? I am really hoping we don't have to drain! I was very wary of taking on a property with its own pool, rather than the communal one we had at the previous apartment, due to the costs of running it, and this is getting to be a bit of a worry!

We used Aramex in the ME for freight forwarding for years. Reasonable rates. I see there are 3 locations in Cyprus. Set up an account and get a U.S. and UK address. Then everything you want to buy is just a couple of mouse clicks away!!

Ryan

Edit:

You will find bleach. But maybe not high strength like the North Americans get. I use 5.25% to maintain a 25000 gallon pool so it's doable. Check hardware stores and grocery stores. Make sure the percentage is on the bottle so you know what you are dealing with.

You should ONLY use bleach from now on. Take out any tablets you have in your pool or in the canister connected to the pool. Even if you have the inline turned to off some of it can still get by and into the pool. You can let the tablets dry out and save them for when you go for a weekend get away.

Kim

We used Aramex in the ME for freight forwarding for years. Reasonable rates. I see there are 3 locations in Cyprus. Set up an account and get a U.S. and UK address. Then everything you want to buy is just a couple of mouse clicks away!!

Ryan

Thanks, but I'm not sure what this would achieve. There is an address of a relative or friend in the UK that I could use, but setting up a US address is a little beyond me. Not sure why I would need to go down this route.

- - - Updated - - -

You should ONLY use bleach from now on. Take out any tablets you have in your pool or in the canister connected to the pool. Even if you have the inline turned to off some of it can still get by and into the pool. You can let the tablets dry out and save them for when you go for a weekend get away.

Kim

What is the inline? Not sure if we have one of those. The tablets are in the skimmer baskets.

First, Welcome to TFP
Second great looking Pool

I think the US address would be for you to get any test kit available in the US? Like maybe the TF-100

Thanks, but I'm not sure what this would achieve. There is an address of a relative or friend in the UK that I could use, but setting up a US address is a little beyond me. Not sure why I would need to go down this route.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the inline? Not sure if we have one of those. The tablets are in the skimmer baskets.

I think Kim is referring to a inline Chlorinator where you put Pucks in and can adjust how much is used, well sort of

First, Welcome to TFP
Second great looking Pool

I think the US address would be for you to get any test kit available in the US? Like maybe the TF-100

I think Kim is referring to a inline Chlorinator where you put Pucks in and can adjust how much is used, well sort of

Thank you. I thought that might be the case re the US address, but not sure how I would go about doing that. I can get the LaMotte 7022 here, so that will be the easiest option.

So, we don't have an inline then. The pucks just sit in the skimmer basket.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazon.com : Hydro Tools 8750 Super Premium In-Line Automatic Pool Chlorine Feeder : Swimming Pool Chlorine : Patio, Lawn Garden

Here is a pic of one. I am going to add one to my pool for when we go out of town. I do not like the floater as it sits right by the liner and I worry about it fading my liner.

I do NOT put any pucks in the skimmer as it can cause many problems with your lines and pump.

Kim

OK, that is not what we have. We will have to go with what we're doing at the moment, until I decide which test kit to get. Hubby a little doubtful about all this expense at the moment, and what I'm trying to achieve! I must admit, it all seems a bit involved, and when virtually every other house or apartment block has a pool, and probably using the pool stores, and they have perfectly adequate pools, I do wonder whether this is all necessary!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.