sod or hydroseed

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I've heard hydroseed is better than just planting seed. does anyone know when is the best time to plant hydroseed? I am hesitant about sod since i don't want the added height. i'd have to take more dirt out of the yard and it's been a lot of work as is. i also have extra dirt that i have to get rid of that is a pain. i'm wondering if hydroseed might be a better solution for me. if it means waiting a couple of mths i'm ok with that. if it means waiting til spring sod would seem to be the answer. any referrals for hydroseeding in phoenix? thx!

I went the hydroseed route. I would do it again too.

It's is definitely MUCH easier than sowing seeds, and the hydromulch contains fertilizer and mulch to help the new seed germinate.
The seeds can also be distrubuted more evenly across the lawn, as compared to sowing seeds

If you dont mind waiting a couple months for a full lawn, then you can save a lot of money over going with sod.
If you do it, be prepared to water it. A LOT, and fertilize per the instructions the hydroseed guy gives you.

The main difference between hydroseed and sod, is that with sod, a grass farmer plants, waters, and fertilizes it. With hydroseed, you take the place for the farmer.

The best time to plant, is early enough in the year to give the new grass enough time to grow strong enough to survive the winter. Being in Phoenix, I dont see you having much of a problem with that.

Im not much help on anyone in your area who does it though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.