Hayward SP2610X15

Aug 15, 2014
Hattiesburg, MS
My pump has been leaking for a while, and someone with more knowledge about pools than I told me it was the seal. I learned later that the seal was something that I could probably repair, that there were YouTube videos that could show me how to do it. I watched a video, and it seamed simple enough.

Today I replaced the seal. Now, the motor runs, but is not moving any water. I did not leave the motor on long for fear that I would burn it up.

I tried to backwash the pool, just to further test the pump, and still no water being pulled into the pump.

What could I have done wrong.

Are you able to fill the pump basket completely with water before turning it on? Temporarily close the suction valves coming into the pump if you need to do so while the pump is off, then open them before switching on the pump. If you are able to fill the pump completely is there water dripping out anywhere around the seal?

When somethings not working after a repair, look to everything that you did during the repair step by step. Check all the valves leading to the pump and to the returns as well as your repairs, including taking the pump offline and checking your repair.

Took the pump a part again. In a Youtube video that I watched yesterday, where someone was giving instruction on how to change the seal, he also said that the pump he was working on was rusty on the bottom. He removed the rust with a wire brush and painted the pump.

My pump is also very rusty on the bottom. It was almost as if the metal had bubbled up. I thought that I would take some of the rust off and put on a coat of paint, before putting the pump back together. The rust on the pump was very thick. I took a hammer and was barley tapping it to remove the rust. When the rust came off, parts of the pump came off with it, leaving holes in the bottom. Is there anyway to repair this? I have put Bonddo in it, put not certain that is a fix, since I have not put it back together yet, and turned it on. In fact, I believe the pump has rusted through, and it was the rust that had bubbled up was what was holding it together.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got the pump back together and surprisingly the Bondo is holding up (so far).

The pump is now working (circulating the water), and seems to be moving water more aggressively then before I changed the seal. The only problem now is the pump is still leaking. It seems that changing the seal did not fix the leak at all. Assuming I put the seal on correctly.

What should I do now? How do I detect where the leak is coming from?

If it is leaking then you probably didn't put the seal on correctly or there is a leak from one of the other gaskets.

While working on the pump somehow I accidently (probably by stepping on it) disconnected a wire that ran from the salt cell to somewhere? I did not even know that I had done it until I saw the end of the disconnected wire laying on the ground when I was gathering up my tools. The end of the wire is straight. Because of this it looks as if it was inserted into something vs, wrapped around something. Does anyone know where this wire goes to?

- - - Updated - - -

How can I isolate the leak and know where it is coming from?

Thank you. The motor is still working, although it has holes that has rusted through it. After I put it back together and it was not leaking where I had put the Bonddoe, I thought that there was no water in that location of the motor, and it had rusted because of the leak. I am going to continue to use it until is can't go any longer.

I don't believe the wire has anything to do with the pump, it is coming from the salt cell. It is not bare wire, but gray covered well.

Water should not come out any part of the motor or anywhere near the motor. If it is, then it is probably the seal.

I am still in pool training. Now I know about the three gaskets and the whole kit that you can purchase. When I was told it was the seal, I just purchased the seal. Today I purchased the housing seal. Next time I will know and get the entire package that you mentioned.

I watched another YouTube video on how to change the seal. I learned something on the second video that I did not know from watching one video. The lesson I learned is, watch more than one video.

On the second video, it stated to be very careful when placing the seal on, that is goes on in a particular way, and it is easy to install the wrong way. This was not on the first video. I looked at what I did yesterday, and indeed I had installed it the wrong way. I was confident that this would fix the leak. I learned that the best videos for changing seals are from Inyo Pools.

This time I was very meticulous, and did everything that Inyo Pools said.

I had taken the starting switch off, so that I could get a wrench in back to hold the shaft while taking the impeller off. When putting the starting switch back on, I was day dreaming how the pump was going to work, and tightened the starting switch too tight, and broke it. I super glued it back together. Then I was very carefully not to over tighten it again. I put all the parts back on, and then turned on the pump, then nothing but a hum. I looked for other videos regarding this new problem, and could not find anything that matched my symptoms, so I started to figure out what was wrong. Soon the hum stopped, and the pump stopped completely. I thought it was ready for the graveyard.

When I was searching for videos, one video said the pump can throw the breaker. I checked the breaker, and that is what happened. I turned the breaker on, and the pump hummed. I noticed that the starting switch (that I was reluctant to tighten) had not been tightened enough and was not making contact. I tightened it more, and while doing that slipped, and touched the screw driver to something that I should not have. There was a loud pop, and sparks flew, and then the pump stopped. Again I thought it was ready for the grave yard, but the breaker had flipped. I turned the breaker on, and the pump started working, and is moving water better than it was before I worked on it. The only problem I am having now, it is still leaking.

Don’t know what could be the problem. In both videos it said not to touch the seal assembly. I had my hands all over it, before I knew that I was not too touch it. I wiped it off with a soft cloth. I don’t know if touching it would cause it to leak.

I also changed the housing gasket with a new one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.