Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Vacuum?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why Vacuum?

Is vacuuming important?

I got a vacuum with my pool, but I've never used it. I've seen lots of posts about how to vacuum, but I haven't seen anything about why I should.

My current routine is to brush off the steps/seats and let the pentair racer cleaner keep the bottom clean. I have a dark blue plaster/pebble finish so if there is any debris on the bottom, I can't see it.

My water looks clear, my bottom looks clean, but I see so many people talking about vacuuming that it makes me wonder if I'm missing out on something important.
    16K gal in-ground pool/spa with spill over, plaster/pebble, 6 returns each in pool and spa, 2 drains each in pool and spa, 2 skimmers in pool
    Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter w/ multiport valve, Pentair MasterTemp Heater, Pentair Racer Cleaner, Auto-fill
    Depth 3.5 - 6.5, Completed November 2014, TF-100 test kit w/ Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why Vacuum?

No need to vacuum with a pool cleaner. It is a vacuum substitute!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Unless you have a pool full of mud, then all the cleaner does it stir it back up into the water. The vaccum was a godsend for heavy silt clean up. Shut off the pump, let the silt settle over night, then very slowly vacuum.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

yeah! Say no to mud!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a vacuum, have used it once...but my pool is in a screen enclosure so I don't really get anything in the pool. I find brushing and skimming every once in a while to get the gnats is enough for me.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    Unless you have a pool full of mud, then all the cleaner does it stir it back up into the water?
    I don't understand what you are saying about the cleaner stirring it back up, and I dont want this comment to confuse the OP
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I vacuum because it's easier than diving down to the bottom with a pair of tweezers.

And because a manual vacuum works just fine for me so I see no reason to buy anything fancier. Twenty minutes a week isn't so bad. I imagine if I had more leaf load I might want an automatic cleaner.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Yev View Post
    I don't understand what you are saying about the cleaner stirring it back up, and I dont want this comment to confuse the OP
    mud has some very small particles that usually go right through the filters on automatic pool cleaners. and then end up right back in the pool. is that what you mean?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep. I was nto clear if they meant Vacuum stirs up or cleaner. Wanted to make sure OP was also not confused.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I manually vacuum for two reason: 1 - I find it somewhat relaxing and relatively effortless to spend a few minutes getting the debris off the bottom; 2 - because I'm too cheap to spend $$ on a fancy robotic cleaner.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

I so envy you. I have to vacuum at least twice a week, even more if it is windy or rains a lot. There is nothing more frustrating than spending two hours cleaning the pool and then waking up the next morning and seeing a bunch of leaves (worms and small branches when it storms) in the pool that have already sunk to the bottom.

I have a bunch of birch trees in the yard that produce a huge amount of tree debris year round, I hate them with a passion.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

12. Back To Top    #12

I vacuumed once or twice till my Robot came in, put the vac hose up, and haven't even seen it in over a year now. If things go as I want them too, I'll never vac again if I can help it at all. Pool cleaners RULE!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

Newbie here. I assume from the posts that a cleaner and vacuum are two distinct things. I've been using them interchangeably. Thanks to TFP, I recognize that I have a kreepy krawly - is that a cleaner or vaccum?
    Roman in ground pool (16 x34, 20,400 gallons), cleaned professional every Tuesday, with a leaf skimmer, suction cleaner connected to skimmer via hose and brush. Pool pump is currently set for 6am-1pm daily. Pool is filled with a water hose two times/week for about 40 minutes (my understanding is filling pool isn't under restrictions by my city).

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

for most discussions it would be a cleaner. it does the work (vacuuming) for you.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

I got this answer from Chem Geek on a similar questions in the introduce yourself section:

"Vacuuming is not a regular maintenance step unless you are accumulating debris that your pool sweep isn't picking up. What IS a normal maintenance step is brushing the pool. This helps dislodge any algae in the nooks and crannies of plaster and prevents biofilm formation. Circulation flow goes to zero at pool walls and floors and in particular the rougher surface of plaster has plenty of spaces where algae can hide out from chlorine in the water. Brushing forces chlorine into those surfaces and also physically disrupts anything stuck to that plaster."

Seems like that would be good advice for anyone looking through this thread.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information!
    16K gal in-ground pool/spa with spill over, plaster/pebble, 6 returns each in pool and spa, 2 drains each in pool and spa, 2 skimmers in pool
    Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter w/ multiport valve, Pentair MasterTemp Heater, Pentair Racer Cleaner, Auto-fill
    Depth 3.5 - 6.5, Completed November 2014, TF-100 test kit w/ Speedstir

16. Back To Top    #16

On the cleaner question in regards to mud....yes the cleaner just sends the fine particulate right back into the pool...also my particular dolphin has a large scrubber before the vacuum so that also contributes to dispersion of mud before the dolphins vacuum can grab it. Slow manual vacuum to waste has been the only way to clear my pool. I've had three mudslides in three weeks so I'm unfortunately an expert on this now.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

I put a skimmer sock in my Polaris leaf bag, and now it vacuums everything better than I used to.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Defgufman View Post
    I put a skimmer sock in my Polaris leaf bag, and now it vacuums everything better than I used to.
    Would you mind posting a picture of how you did that? We have sandy soil and that might help me out.

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Pogueld View Post
    Would you mind posting a picture of how you did that? We have sandy soil and that might help me out.

Lisa P.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I missed this Lisa, let me post some picks when I get home tonight.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

20. Back To Top    #20

Thank you!!!

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast