Larrickswife Pool Numbers --Help please--Store results VS Pool Calculator

Jul 9, 2015
Blaine, WA
Hi all. I have been trolling the forums for the last 6 weeks since I got my pool. I have a little seasonal pool. Intex Framed 12 ft x30 inch pool. I have not had any issues at all maintaining the chemicals until abut 9 days ago so I thought. I have the Poolmaster 5 way kit and it has been sufficient for me thus far. However I couldn't test hardness or CYA. So I bought a cheapo kit from WalMart to test hardness and CYA--I know they arent dependable, I am hard headed!

So today I took a sample down to my pool store and let them run a test on my water. Here are the results:

TDS 400
CYA 63
TOT CHLORINE 15
FREE CHLORINE 15
PH 7.4
ALK 117
ADJ TOTAL ALK 98
TOT HARDNESS 68

So they gave me print out of what should be added but when I put the same numbers into the pool calculator they dont match up at all.

Can someone please help me? I dont want to get my pool all jacked up. I have nice clear water except after people get out and I am running the pump (which I know I need to get a bigger one) 24 hours a day to avoid the water being stagnant.

Here is what the "store printout" says I should add:
Sodium hydrogen carbonate (baking soda) 1 cup 4 tbls
Sodium Bi-sulfate 1 tbls
Calcium Chloride 2 1/4 c tbsp

What do you guys think? If this is correct can I add them all at once??

Vinyl pools like yours doesn't need calcium, or perhaps 50 just to be cautious. So you can legitimately skip that.
I see a FC of 15, and a TC of 15 which implies to me that you don't have CC's (good!) and the FC is too high if you really have CYA of "63" ?? It will come down in a coulpe of days I suspect. HOW do you chlorinate your pool?
I don't see a problem with your TA to tell you the truth and assuming <cough cough> that your pool store test was even half way close. Sure, as the pool store suggested a little MA to bring your pH down which also drags your TA down which is how most here lower TA. But then they suggest adding a chemical which is going to raise the TA again....makes no sense to me?
Wanting to get a little bit higher pH after you've lowered the TA is done via "aeration" which could be a simple fountain circulating drops of water back into your pool (sort of like pool-respiration actually occurs) or you can get some great aeration from kids playing vigorously in the pool.
I don't know anything about Intex filters, but can you add a smidgeon of DE to it to assist in filtering? Or get that larger filter.

Bottom line for me would be to toss out all those pool store results and get a real accurate test kit, not one severely limited in range nor strips. For you a TF-50 might be enough? I love my TF-100, others like the Taylor K-2006 (THAT one only) as these all have the basic tests you need to keep your pool healthy.

OK so I already added some of the Sodium hydrogen carbonate ( it said to separate the dose in 3rds over 4-6 hours) . So I do not have a sand filter only a basic cartridge filter for the pump that came with the poo so I don't think the DE applies herel. I know I should invest in a new pump but I wanted to see how much use we get out of this small pool and move up to a bigger and better setup. So I chlorinate with a floater. I have been putting about 3 1-inch tablets in it per week. The kids played extremely "vigorously" in the pool today. The water sample was taken to the store about an hour after they got out. I have 2 kits which are basic-the Poolmaster 5 way and just to see what my CYA was I picked up an el cheapo HTH kit (not strips). The CYA level according to that one says it is about 90. Both readings from the kits were different than pool store one was 6.8 and one was 7.2 and the store says 7.4. The TA from the poolmaster kit read 190 and the HTH said 210, however I don't think that is the ADJ TA. I I do know the guy at the pool store said his test for CH stops at 15. He believes it is higher than that and I don't doubt that. It seems to stay high always no matter what. I removed the floater so I am not adding any CH at this time and hoping the number drops a bit. Iknow I should invest in a better kit as it would save me money but I just don't have the 60 bucks needed to buy that kit until next month so in the interim I just want to try to keep things in check until then. There is a lot of swimming going on here !

Yes, upon reflection I agree with pooldv. Most of my advice was given thinking the pool was larger without considering that you could just dump your water and start over fairly easily if desired. That's not to say testing isn't still important, just probably easier?
Enjoy your pool~ You're doing well to be so conscientious and you'll end up with a healthy pool for everyone to play in :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.