Skimmer troubles on ultra-frame

jmcdtucson

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2014
Flagstaff, AZ
Pool Size
Has any one had trouble with the hayward skimmer installed on the ultra-frame pools? I have the wide-mouth skimmer installed.

Since the pool wall slopes in, the skimmer slopes up so that the water level at the back of the skimmer is much less than the water level at the front. This means that, unless the pool is full almost to the top of the skimmer, the weir door can get stuck because the water is so low at the back of the skimmer. Then the pump starts sucking air.
I have about 1" of leeway in my water fill between too high to skim and to low to push the weir door down. Needless to say, it is very difficult to maintain this with 1" of evaporation per day here in the desert.

Any one else have this problem?
I'm thinking of installing another drain so that if the skimmer won't drain, the pump won't run dry.

I think they do slant with the rectangular pools. If it were mine, I'd try to set a brick on it and see if it pulls it down a bit to level it off.

I've got the same issue with mine, water level has to be topped up or it will draw air. One possibility might be the "float collar skimmer basket" conversion, but having trouble finding any info online on performance when slanted. Anyone on here with any experience with the float baskets?

I cut out one of the bottom drains and installed one of the intex strainers on there, so i can use both skimmer and outlet at the same time or balance between them depending if kreepy krawly or whatever I'm doing. The two original in/out let holes on the long side are now inlets. All hard piped, total overkill but thats just me...

But to answer your question, as long as i keep both skimmer and bottom outlet i never pull air, however if i forget to open the bottom one and my water level drops.... Pump goes dry... I've learned that the hard way :)

Yes, I have the very same problem. I have one of the intex suction ports hooked to my lil shark vac with ball valves and on skimmer to control flow. I've tried to level the back of the skimmer by pulling it down with strings tied to the frame- just to see if it would help, and it works great- I just haven't found a way to make it permanent and not look horrible. I also was concerned about the long term effects of putting more stress on the liner and the skimmer by pulling it down. I'll be watching here to see if someone else has solved this issue!

Yes, I have the very same problem. I have one of the intex suction ports hooked to my lil shark vac with ball valves and on skimmer to control flow. I've tried to level the back of the skimmer by pulling it down with strings tied to the frame- just to see if it would help, and it works great- I just haven't found a way to make it permanent and not look horrible. I also was concerned about the long term effects of putting more stress on the liner and the skimmer by pulling it down. I'll be watching here to see if someone else has solved this issue!

Today I plumbed the original return into the system, along with the skimmer. I then dialed in the original return's valve to the point where I have good suction in my skimmer, yet if the skimmer door gets stuck due to low water level. I don't get air into the system. Works like a charm and my pump seems happier with the hard plumbing replacing the original intex hoses. Woot!

2015-07-18 18.07.32.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.