18v circuit breaker keeps tripping on Pentair

Aug 9, 2014
TX
I hooked up a skimmer vacuum to vacuum out our hot tub and all was well but after I turned it off now the 18v circuit breaker labeled relays keeps tripping and pumps won't turn off. Can someone tell me what relays it control so I can start disconnecting to isolate the issue? Thank you.

Pentair i7+3

Ok I confess I'm no spa expert but I am lost. What brand and model skimmer vacuum did you hook up?
Where and how did you hook it up?

Is there a schematic on the spa? What brand and model of spa?

if you disconnect it does it go back to normal?

Probably just a coincidence that this happened right after you vacuumed. At the panel, that is at the equipment there are two screws top left and right. Unscrewing those will allow you to open and expose the board. Relay sockets will be on the top of the board labeled FLTR PUMP, Aux 1, aux2, and so on. Start with the filter pump (pump that is running?) and unplug the relay from its socket and then try to reset the small breaker. If it holds, then the problem is either with the relay, or the socket (circuit board). My guess would be the relay.

Note: You may try tapping the associated relay before you start this procedure. If tapping the relay shuts the pump off and you are able to set the breaker, change out the relay.

Ok so I unplugged each relay from the board and it still does it it only happens when I turn on the gfi/lights breaker and seems it has something to do with gfi circuit. I tested the gfi plug next to box (it wasn't tripped) and now it won't reset. Maybe spa light or that plug is bad? Kinda odd plug just went bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So just to make sure in doing this correctly... I'm supposed to remove all the wires from the output from each relay one at a time then see if the 3amp breaker trips when power is turned on?

Well not sure if it just won't reset due to power not being on long enough. Requires power to reset I thought. Plus it didn't trip normally, I did test after after I had the issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So just to make sure in doing this correctly... I'm supposed to remove all the wires from the output from each relay one at a time then see if the 3amp breaker trips when power is turned on?

Don't remove any wires from the relay (that would require a screwdriver), instead, unplug the relay from the board (2 Thin wires with a small plug on the end that plugs into the board).

If you had the relays UNPLUGGED from the board and you couldn't reset the small breaker, it is either the board or the small breaker. If you can manage to disconnect the load side from the small breaker, and the breaker holds, something is shorted on the board. If it wont reset, it is the small breaker.

Yeah it's 28v when disconnected and powered up. When I disconnect from control board it doesn't blow. Replaced GFI receptacle just for kicks.

I'm thinking to try replacing the 3amp breaker and/or transformer cause I don't want to spend $750 on a control board!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.