Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this brownish dust at the bottom of my clear pool

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this brownish dust at the bottom of my clear pool

Moderator comment: This post was separated out from this thread: What is this brownish dust at the bottom of my clear pool?

My pool store tells me it is the diamond brite breaking down, could that be true?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this brownish dust at the bottom of my clear poo

Quote Originally Posted by steschky View Post
    My pool store tells me it is the diamond brite breaking down, could that be true?
    My pool store told me the brown silt was probably an indicator that the sand in my filter needed to be replaced. I have an in ground vinyl pool and I have a problem with the brown silt, so I would really question it being the diamond brite.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What is this brownish dust at the bottom of my clear pool

I doubt if it is Diamond Brite breaking down, and it may be a sign of a broken lateral in a sand filter if (it was more like sand).

In both cases it is probably dust & dirt blown into the pool. To see if you may have an algae problem you could conduct an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) test to see if something is growing in the water.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Tim, would pollen cause their brownish dust on the bottom. I know we get a lot of it sometimes ?
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by lefty51 View Post
    Tim, would pollen cause their brownish dust on the bottom. I know we get a lot of it sometimes ?
    It very well could.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

I had a very similar issue that seemed to show up a few days after a heavy rain. I did the oclt and everything was fine. Just brushed to stir it up and ran my robpt each...3 as a matter of fact. I also cleaned my cart filter each time
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

More often than not, what many folks see as "brownish dirt" is dead algae. You may have clear water but invisible algae in your pool and when you add chlorine, some (but not all) of that algae is killed and becomes debris on the bottom of your pool floor. If you vacuum it up, it often returns the next day in the same spots.

Invariably, these pools have inadequate chlorine and the solution is a SLAM. The SLAM usually goes very quickly and it rids your pool of ALL the algae and the "brownish dust" disappears.

Most people search for answers other than that (filtration, nearby fields, pollen, etc.) but time and again we see inadequate chlorine as the culprit and the SLAM as the cure.

If you decide you are not in the mood for a full blown SLAM or that your "dust" problem is VERY minimal, then elevate your chlorine to twice it's normal level for 48 hours and see if that doesn't cure it. It's the same idea but with a lot less formality and rules to follow but, of course, it is not as effective. I would hazard a guess and say that chlorine elevation (x2) would probably work 50% of the time.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Very good explanation. Thanks
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).