Rocks at waterline

Mar 30, 2015
Dallas, Texas
In the midst of our pool build and was discussing the planned weeping wall with the builder. He has concerns over time of leaks if we do the rocks at waterline rather than all above beam with a waterline tile. Is this truly a concern?

I can't imagine....I see weeping walls with the rocks into the water all the time. But he has done a lot of remodels and says it's common. Je did mention he would have the plaster guys beef up that section if we still decide to go with waterline stone.

Can't figure out how to post pictures from my cell phone. I'll try tonight. And ill try to clarify....we have a rock weeping wall planned for the backside of the pool. Builder said he recommends waterline tile all the way around the pool rather than having the rocks of the weeping wall transition into the water line therefore replacing tile on the backside of the pool.

The way they prevent leaks is putting a step for the rocks to sit on that is below waterline but has gunite wall behind it going up above the waterline; to coping level or higher.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/93076-New-Build-Spring-TX
In my #3 post on the 4th pictiue you will see a small ledge all along the back of my pool.
In the 5th picture you see the rock set on it.

Was rebar laid differently in that section?

I have a twenty seven foot ledge with rocks on it. The ledge is about one foot or 18 inches below the top of the pool ( I can't Remember) and the bottom of the rocks sit on the ledge inside the pool. They beefed up the steel a lot. They ran 1/2 inch rebar from the middle of the pool up the ledge and the bond beam and they ran a lot of 1/2 inch rebar across the ledge and across the wall below the ledge. I then made them add even more rebar in the area just to be safe.

When they plastered I made them plaster between the rocks where the cement was that was used to hold the rocks in place. My concern was that the cement used would not be as waterproof as the plaster. The trick is to only plaster over the cement that is below the water line because it will not look as well if they plaster the cement above the water line.

If you do a ledge you need to consider whether you want the ledge to be 12 feet wide or 18 inches wide. My PB did it 12 inches wide but my contractor said he preferred it 18 inches wide.

Sent from IPHONE

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.