overlap liner bottom seam goes where?

Tere

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2015
Colorado Springs
So where should the overlap line bottom seam fall?

I have read some post that say the bottom seam of the overlap liner goes some where between the cove bottom and the cove top. Seems like the middle would be good buttttt my 18'x48" liner seems very stretchy and the seam seems to want to fall a few inches above the foam cove. I say this cause there are a lot of wrinkles still left in the bottom of the pool. If I get the bottom fairly wrinkle free the seam rides high really high like 5" above the top of the foam cove. Here in Colorado the sun is intense though it's only 78-82 degrees. We are at 6000 ft elevation so the sun is hotter and there is thin air here. I decided to not over work the liner while it was hot. Glory be I was inside the pool doing the initial adjusting the liner in socks and thought I would burn my feet. I got out and used a soft broom from the out side.

My plan is to draw up the liner over the sides even more till there is no wrinkles on the bottom add small amount of water, release the overlap liner down the side add water and so on till it sits smooth but with out over stretching the liner. I read some where the liner should barely be touching in the center and then fill a small amount of water releasing the liner a little at a time.

I don't think I can use the shop vac to suck the liner close to the walls as the pool sits on polystyrene and there's air gaps at the bottom. I could re-use the clay soil I dug out and place an external berm at the bottom out side hoping that would help seal the bottom making the shop vac suction work? The clay compacts pretty tight.

Another issue is the foam wall seems to have a hard time fitting under the new coping along with the liner. There is only foam up to the very top of the overlap liner on the inside. I didn't fold the foam over the top edge. Is this normal?

Thanks all. I think I'm in the home stretch, maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry my signature won't update. It say the BB font is not acceptable. Liner is 25 gauge. Pool walls up, vertical supports up, pool sits on clay base with polystyrene floor with foam cove and foam walls.

Hello Tere. Hope you are enjoying the forum.

Please do not fret over the placement of the seam on the bottom. I can tell you when I did this thread, How to install an over lap liner., that the liner seam ran up the side of the wall a little bit. You can see in the pictures that the dolphins are not uniform and it is fine really, if it doesn't bug you. I would smooth the bottom as much as you can without stretching the liner way out. Gently pushing the liner from the middle of the pool towards the walls in all directions should be sufficient enough as I didn't even use a shop vac on this install.

As for your foam on the walls, trim the excess 2 inches from the top so you can put your stabilizer bars back on and it won't be so difficult. Also trim an inch around the skimmer and the return outlet to help seal it so it doesn't leak when you put your gaskets on.

thanks Casey. I read your Overlap liner install post a few days ago, very helpful. It rained last night, lol 2 inches so the pool bottom look s pretty good. I trimmed the foam wall from the return and skimmer now for the top rail.

Is you pool in the install pot a Lomart? mine has a similar pattern on the out sid, faux wood panel. Can you tell me the style name. One pool store thought it was a Sunlake. I think mine in 1995

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.