Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to fix these?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to fix these?

We have a fiberglass pool that was installed last Fall. We used travertine tiles for coping and glass tiles as waterline tiles. I noticed some possible problems and the pool builder claims that the glass tile issue is normal and the travertine grout cracks can be fixed by simply filling them. I somewhat disagree with him and need your opinions to understand what is going on with the tiles.

Also, small bubbles come out of the return lines and there are bubbles in the pump basket. The pool builder said it is also normal and the bubbles are generated by the salt generator. What do you think?
    Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool with problems

I'll give this thread a bump and say that is a really lousy grout job on those glass tiles.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I had some gorgeous copper colored glass tiles put in my kitchen backsplash and I recall at the time the installer saying that glass requires a different thin set or stuff buttered on the back than other tiles. Could that be the issue? Or was that just for appearance of the various tones in the glass tiles to show best?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Is your SWG on the intake or outlet side of your pump? I'm pretty sure the order is pump to filter to SWG (at least that's how mine is). Bubbles in the pump basket aren't normal. That could be something as simple as the basket lid gasket needing some lube to help seal completely.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    I'll give this thread a bump and say that is a really lousy grout job on those glass tiles.
    I know They used silicone and for some reason it is dissolving. What needs to be done to fix it?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    I had some gorgeous copper colored glass tiles put in my kitchen backsplash and I recall at the time the installer saying that glass requires a different thin set or stuff buttered on the back than other tiles. Could that be the issue? Or was that just for appearance of the various tones in the glass tiles to show best?
    They used a white adhesive to attach the tiles to pool wall. It looked okay last Fall, but recently the discoloration occurred. I am afraid it is due to water getting behind the tiles as there is condensation and possibly mold. The sad thing is the pool builder thinks it is normal.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ouachita View Post
    Is your SWG on the intake or outlet side of your pump? I'm pretty sure the order is pump to filter to SWG (at least that's how mine is). Bubbles in the pump basket aren't normal. That could be something as simple as the basket lid gasket needing some lube to help seal completely.
    It is on the outlet side of the pump. The pool builder said the salt generator is causing the air bubbles in the return lines, but I still see air bubbles when the swg is off. The annoying thing is that whenever I notice something and mention it to the pool guy, he claims it is normal and makes me feel like I am nitpicking.

8. Back To Top    #8

Bump

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Need your opinion

Mine is a swg also. Its plumbed pump basket. pump filter then saltcell. And yes bubbles to some degree at the returns in the pool are normal. Thats chlorine gas being generated by the swg.
    Bad tile job btw.
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: Need your opinion

Yep, mine blows bubbles too.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Here are some close up photos of the tiles. As you see, glass tiles look pretty bad. Is there a way to fix them without redoing the whole thing? Can the crack in the travertine grout be fixed by filling or does it need to be replaced? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: How to fix these?

I will meet with the pool builder to discuss the abovementioned issues soon. Did anyone else have this type of problems? If so, how did the pool builder address them?

13. Back To Top    #13

Re: How to fix these?

I know very little about installing glass tiles, but I would start by finding the tile manufacturers installation specifications and instructions for required type and method of applying the thin set and the grout.

One item that you may or may not be able to or want to address is the final install. IMO the tiles were not installed in what I would consider a workman like manner, and some of the gaps around various tiles may not meet the specifications.

Good luck with the builder.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.