Skimmer basket/weir door really needed?

Jul 9, 2015
Lakewood, CA
First time in-ground pool owner, and after 6 months we finally went in for a swim on the 4th of July. Anyway, now I'm obsessed with making sure the pool is operating properly. After taking the vacuum hose out of the skimmer for first time to go swimming, I realized my pool didn't come with either a skimmer basket or weir door (literally a week ago, I knew none of these terms). Now, we don't have really any leaves or debris on the surface, but we do have dead gnats (not enough to be disgusted by but enough to notice). After realizing that I can't have the surface and bottom/walls of pool clean simultaneously (of can I?), I've decided to alternate days in which I clean the surface and the bottom. My question is, do I really need the skimmer basket and weir door if the only debris on the surface are gnats?

By the way, while I have your attention, going swimming for first time in pool allowed for several loose peebles on the pool deck to fall in the pool. Any ideas on best way to pick them up? I'm sure them going through the skimmer and into the filter would not be a good thing.

Thanks!

Absolutely you need to have a skimmer basket. Anything can happen and trust me, you don't want something to get lodged in your skimmer plumbing.

This could also significantly reduced the amount of times you need to clean out the pump basket. I have not needed to clean my pump basket
since putting a skimmer sock over my skimmer basket and it catches all kinds of pollen/goo/junk too.

The weir door...mine was missing too, but after reading more about what they actually do, there is no way I wouldn't have one. You can
measure your opening and get a generic spring loaded one on amazon for 15 bucks.

The weir will keep any junk in your skimmer from going back into your pool when the pump goes off.

Most important, it keeps the water level balanced for your pump/filter system. If anybody canon balls in your pool or swims quickly, without a weir it could suck
in some serious air.

Absolutely you need to have a skimmer basket. Anything can happen and trust me, you don't want something to get lodged in your skimmer plumbing.

This could also significantly reduced the amount of times you need to clean out the pump basket. I have not needed to clean my pump basket
since putting a skimmer sock over my skimmer basket and it catches all kinds of pollen/goo/junk too.

The weir door...mine was missing too, but after reading more about what they actually do, there is no way I wouldn't have one. You can
measure your opening and get a generic spring loaded one on amazon for 15 bucks.

The weir will keep any junk in your skimmer from going back into your pool when the pump goes off.

Most important, it keeps the water level balanced for your pump/filter system. If anybody canon balls in your pool or swims quickly, without a weir it could suck
in some serious air.
:goodpost:

100% yes to skimmer baskets and weirs. Sunplay.com has lots of them too. I only know 2 ways to pick up rocks off the bottom a leaf rake or send the kids down for them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.