Green Algae Mess

Jul 9, 2015
Wilmington, DE
Hello,
I'm new to this site and am doing my best to take in all the information I can. However, as I sit here reading, my algae is growing exponentially. I ordered one of the test kits that was recommended...and now I wait for it to be delivered. I tried to find the testers locally, but couldn't find the ones recommended.

The pool started turning green 2 days ago and I upped my chlorine. I have an automatic chlorine feeder that I've been adding tablets to daily and it's set to the highest setting. I'm concerned that I don't know if I'm using the proper amount of chlorine to do the job (or too much). After reading info on this site, I am now running the filter 24/7, vacuuming the pool and backwashing the filter. The PH is about 7.4 and Chlorine is about 2.0. Though my kit is old and I have doubts about it's quality.

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on how to "Hit Hard" and start killing off the algae without having my test kit yet.
Any advice?

Last edited:
Hi Maureen,
about the best thing you can do right now, is to remove the tablets from the chlorine feeder. Those thing contain lots of CYA, and if used for too long, can send your CYA level through the roof and the result is that the chlorine cannot keep up with the CYA. The result - pool grows algae.

Next, use only liquid chlorine in the form of Liquid shock from yoru pool supply place, or bleach. Liquid Shock is usually 10 or 12 percent concentration
Concentrated bleach is 8.25 concentration.

Add 1 gallon of concentrated bleach per day, and no more, until your test kit arrives and we can see what going on in your water. OR
If you use liquid shock, use about 3/4 gallon per day.

If you use bleach, just use regular bleach. No fancy scents or anti splash stuff as they contain other chemicals that are just a waste of money in a pool, plus they make the water foam for a few minutes.

In the meantime, read how to SLAM and learn how to use pool math.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Welcome to TFP! You've come to the right place to get your pool fixed up.

Don't hesitate to ask questions as you learn more. It's better than letting yourself feel overwhelmed by your pool.

You will be glad you made the TFP choice .

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies!
I'm looking forward to receiving my TFTestkit TF-100 in the mail soon.
The chemistry is overwhelming for a newbie like me. I'm trying to understand why the liquid bleach is better than the Chlorine tablets for my situation.

I added 1 gallon of concentrated bleach and will add another tomorrow. I am hopeful :)
Maureen

Thanks for the link!
Now I'm confused about something else....when I backwashed the filter this morning, the discharge looked clear. I thought it would be greenish. Is that normal?

Today I'll vacuum, add more bleach and hope the mailman delivers my new test kit.

This is how it looks this morning...
attachment.php
attachment.php

I appreciate all the helpful advice :)

The chemistry is overwhelming for a newbie like me. I'm trying to understand why the liquid bleach is better than the Chlorine tablets for my situation.

Tablets and powder "shock" all have CYA (stabilizer) in them. The only way to get rid of CYA is to drain your pool part way depending on how high your CYA got.

liquid bleach or chlorine (same thing just different strengths) does not add anything other than algae killing stuff!

The chemistry is scary at first! My back story is that I ruined my first pool by listening the pool store. My CYA was OUT the roof and I am now guessing my PH was WAY off. My liner got so brittle, with water in it, that the whole bottom just cracked and all of the water rushed out almost taking me with it!

It took a long time before I would even think about getting another pool. It was only after my husband found TFP that I even considered it. I bought the test kit BEFORE I bought the pool to make sure I could do it! I tested my tap water. It was FUN and EASY as the instructions are step by step AND there are videos!

We will help walk you through it. After a while you will be able to look at your pool and know what the tests will show.

HUGS! We have you covered!

kim

- - - Updated - - -

I just saw your update with pics.

You would think the backwash water would be green but your water is not a swamp really. It just has more a green tint to it. IN the pool the green shows up real good due to the large amount and background. When you backwash it is moving and you do not see as much water at one time so it does look clear.

Your water might even look clear if you put it in a clear cup. (NO glass allowed around the pool LOL)

Kim

The chemistry is scary at first! My back story is that I ruined my first pool by listening the pool store. My CYA was OUT the roof and I am now guessing my PH was WAY off. My liner got so brittle, with water in it, that the whole bottom just cracked and all of the water rushed out almost taking me with it!

HUGS! We have you covered a long time before I would even think about getting another pool. It was only after my husband found TFP that I even considered it. I bought the test kit BEFORE I bought the pool to make sure I could do it! I tested my tap water. It was FUN and EASY as the instructions are step by step AND there are videos!

Kim

Kim, I didn't know this! How scary!! Sorry to hijack! But Kim has you covered. She's - super smart pool gal!

[emoji176] Lisa P.

Update... My pool is still green and my test kit didn't come today. So I'm working with what I have...
This is my current situation (if I can upload the photo!) Would it help to lower the PH?

I'm wondering how long it will take to kill off the algae. I think it might be easier to empty the pool, clean it and start over.
Any thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also,
I'm also wondering if it makes sense to by-pass the sand filter so the water and liquid chlorine will flow faster. The filter doesn't appear to be filtering out the algae (backwash looks clear).
We are vacuuming a lot but nothing comes up, it seems that the algae just recirculates. I wish I'd paid expedited shipping on my test kit, but since I didn't, does anyone have recommendations for how to speed this along without it?

Update... My pool is still green and my test kit didn't come today. So I'm working with what I have...
This is my current situation (if I can upload the photo!) Would it help to lower the PH?

I'm wondering how long it will take to kill off the algae. I think it might be easier to empty the pool, clean it and start over.
Any thoughts?

Maureen - Take a deep breath, now...R-E-L-A-X (Thank you Aaron Rodgers):D! Keep doing what Dave advised you to do. If you can believe that test kit then your pH appears on the low side as opposed to high. I would advise you to add bleach, scrub, keep you filter set to filter, and vacuum until your kit arrives. Remember...the pool did not get this way overnight and it will not clear up overnight. Patience is the key!

Divin Dave,
Can you explain why you advise only 3/4 of liquid bleach per day? I tracked my test kit and it won't get here until Monday and now I regret not paying for the expedited shipping.
I appreciate your advice!
Maureen

PS I'm not sure how to reply to you. I'm new at communicating on forum also.

Maureen,

If you are using liquid bleach 8.25% from the laundry department, Dave recommended the gallon. He recommended 3/4 gallon of the 12% liquid chlorine you would buy from a pool store.

If I understand correctly, being fairly new myself, he doesn't want you to waste your money on unnecessary chemicals and/or get your FC so high it damages your pool and/or equipment. Without a reliable test kit, we can't advise the exact amount. This is a safe amount to keep your algae at bay while you wait. Add the bleach, brush, and filter until your kit comes in and you can post a complete set of test results.

I know it's hard to wait, but it will be worth it. [emoji3]

[emoji176] Lisa P.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.