Chlorine Tablets in Bulk/Cost from Manufacturers or Stores

Jul 9, 2015
Round Hill
Hey, I have a couple of questions to ask. I will provide a bit of background first.
My family has a 65,000 gallon pool with a filtration system and 2 pool cleaners. Daily chlorine tablet usage amounts to around 6-14 3" tabs, varying per observed levels. We have several stores in the area, but have not really ordered online before. Below are my questions.

One, is it cheaper to buy Chlorine tablets in bulk, like a ton of the stuff, and will it keep over a couple years? We have adequate space to keep it dry, and out of the sunlight.

Two, if the cost is negligible between bulk and 50lb buckets of 3" tabs, then what manufacturer would be best to purchase the buckets from?

Three, is it worth it to invest in another form of chlorinating the pool, as opposed to chlorine tablets?

Fourth, are there any noticeable differences between different brands of chlorine tablets? I understand that different levels of chlorine concentration is one, but I have found that different brands have additives that are supposed to do various things, such as reducing burn-off, or dissolving slower.

Thanks in advance for any advice

HeartoCourage2

Don't buy chlorine tablets! ;)

Eventually, chlorine tablets, which are trichlor, will raise your CYA to levels where it is difficult to maintain adequate free chlorine levels for proper sanitation. Your pool is very large so getting a salt water chlorine generator that's large enough may be a problem but it would be the best option for long term maintenance.

Take some time to go through some of the articles in Pool School about pool water chemistry and maintenance such as the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry in my signature.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.