My readings, and trying to get the water clear.

Apr 28, 2015
porter Tx
My water is cloudy, I've been able to keep the alge at bay but I cannot seem to get the water clear. What specific solutions do you recommend to solve these reading issues and clear up my water?

Here are my readings,

FC 6.5
CH 175 ppm
TA 80
PH 7.2
CYA none, I could still see the black dot with he cylinder full, I know how to take care of this item though [emoji3]

I have read that CH being to high would cause cloudy water, what about it being to low?
And thanks again, u guys rock!

Above ground, vinyl liner,
15,000 gal.
Hayward pump, sand filter, TF 100 test kit
?

CH can impact the water at times, but I kind of doubt that is your situation. Interesting that your FC is 6.5 with no CYA. That FC must be getting "ripped" out of the pool with our TX sun and no CYA to protect it. Since you know what to do about the CYA, just shoot for 30 for now since you will probably need to SLAM.

Need to ask though ... was your water filled with city water or well?

Also, you didn't post a CC (combined chlorine) reading, but that would be a good one to know. I would suggest doing an OLCT test tonight. Basically once the sun goes down, add enough bleach to get your FC to about 10 or so. Let it mix for about 30 min to confirm your FC before bed. Then BEFORE the sun hits it, check that FC. We want to know if you lose more than 1 ppm of FC during the dark hours.

That test along with your CC reading tomorrow will give us a good indication of what to do next. Have a nice evening!

ha ha. That's okay. We'll figure out the sig later. Well, a couple things. A cc of over .5 tends to indicate you have a little more organics in the water than we would like to see. There's a battle between the good chlorine and algae which results in a higher trash chlorine (cc) level going on right now in your water, and we need to help the good (FC) overcome. You can still do the overnight (OCLT) test to confirm, but I would be surprised if you didn't lose more than 1 ppm during the hours of darkness.

So you should probably be prepared to do a SLAM. That page will tell you everything you need to know. The key - MAINTAIN the higher SLAM FC level. Since you appear to have no CYA right now, you would increase FC to a SLAM of "10". But make sure you get that stabilizer going too.

Also, take a water sample to your local pool store. Just nod and smile when they tell you their advice, but bring back your readings on metals. We need to know if you have a significant amount of iron or any other product in your water. Sometimes that has an effect as well.

Sorry. 10 is the level (reading) of FC. SO you will need to add enough bleach to stay at a reading of 10 ppm per your TF-100.

- - - Updated - - -

Using the Poolmath calculator http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html, based on a 15K pool with a "current" FC of 5.5, that means you need to add 1 Gal & 2 cups (140 oz) of regular bleach to your water to get to that target of 10 ppm.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you add that amount of bleach, let the water mix for about 30 min and check again to make sure your FC level is at 10. Slightly higher is okay, but not lower.

- - - Updated - - -

Then check once more when the sun goes down to make sure your FC is at 10 ppm before bed. Then BEFORE the sun hits the pool in the morning (YAWN), check that FC reading. We want to know if you lose more than 1 ppm of FC during the dark hours. Example: Before bed the FC records at 10 ppm, then when you wake up it is 9 ppm.

Minor correction from above - if you use grocery store 8.25% bleach, it would be 3 quarts & 1 cup (100 oz). But by now, since the time you posted your initial FC reading, I'm sure some chlorine has burned off. Just round it up to one full gallon of regular bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No I did not. Last night got a little busy around here, and I let the pool get away from me. I think the root problem here is me! I'm still keeping up on my readings today and I will keep my chlorine up to avoid over growth of the nasties. And I will give it a go tonight

Above ground, vinyl liner,
15,000 gal.
Hayward pump, sand filter, TF 100 test kit
?

Busy ladies can figure this out too. Don't be too hard on yourself and once you know what your pool needs on a regular basis, you can compensate when you get too busy. [emoji6]. I've been there, often.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.