About to become a first time pool owner!

TexKSAH

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2014
Austin, TX
Contracts are signed, financing complete. Awaiting construction documents/drawings to be approved by POA and they should be starting construction shortly after!

I want to thank all the contributors on this site for the wealth of great information. I feel like I know so much about pool care already and I don't even own a pool yet.

I do have one question though. Pool contractor is telling me it's cheaper (electricity wise) and better to run the filter pump nearly 24X7 on a low speed setting that will achieve the proper turnover (1-2 turnovers per day) than it is to run a shorter period on a high speed setting. I will get time to play with it once I have a pool, but was wondering what anyone else's experience is that has a variable speed pump.

The pool will have an automatic in-floor cleaning system that is run on a separate single speed pump, but that one will only run (recommended) 1 hour a day.

Turnover mean nothing. Even on low speed, 24/7 is Waaaaaaaaay overkill. Run it on low long enough to keep the pool clear.......(start with 6 to 8 hours and see how it does) .......run on high during chemical additions. Put in enough returns for good circulation pattern.

also, I would recommend to ditch the in ground cleaning system, and instead use the money to purchase a top of the line cleaning robot. most on here would agree that's the better option with that money plus it eliminates the need for one of your pumps so might be a cost savings.

I run my pump 5-6 hours, just long enough for the SWCG to generate enough chlorine.

Thanks, but that's not an option. My wife insists after hearing her mother complain for years about the cables/hoses from her cleaning bot and then swimming in our neighbors pool with the in-floor system and hearing them rant and rave about it. The flagstone for the coping, tanning shelf and steps plus the infloor cleaning was all she insisted on, so I think I got off lucky! lol

Happy wife, happy life!

Go ahead and order your test kit. I know your pool builder will say a test kit is part of your pool school BUT it will NOT be one of the kits we all use and love.

Look at my siggy to see the kits and where to buy them.

OH and you can start the pics now LOL take a pic of where it is going. If you really want to spray paint the outline. One person did that and found they did NOT like where it was going to go as one corner was too close to the house.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.