Build IG vs buy AG

Jul 1, 2015
Dumas, AR
Dh and I are discussing building a pool next year. What are the advantages of an IG pool over a huge (bigger than we have) AG pool? The fenced in areas are something we could do with either so all we can think of at the moment is a diving board. Also, best sites/apps to build the pool area the way you want it that might give a quote? Sorry if I missed a thread with that info already.

Google earth pic added for fun. We have 5 acres, but the pic shows the part of the yard we want to work with. We've added a 10x12ft deck and storage building since this was taken.

Attachments

• received_531047740385929~2~3~2.jpg
    received_531047740385929~2~3~2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 119
To me it depend on a few things.... How much you have to spend, how long you plan on using it (as in, if it's mostly your children that would use it and they are young/nearly grown) etc. not many people have I ground pools in our area of central PA, due to cost and the short swimming season. In a warm climate, it is probably worth the cost involved to go with the I ground.

We have a 4 yr old and 2 yr old. We live in south east Arkansas. So far with the ag pools a lot more friends and family have been coming to swim than we originally thought would. I have what I want in mind and if no one else ever came over we would still enjoy it ourselves. But we haven't figured out the budget yet. We're still thinking about what we want.

I started with an AGP - to make sure it was worth all the work - we really enjoyed it and decided we wanted to invest in an inground. To me the inground adds more to your outdoor living space - but it is such a huge investment.

We are kinda like Sunbaby, if we use our AGP solid for 4 years we will look harder at an IGP.
We were quoted 54K for a 17'x27' with a hot tub, we put our small AGP with deck in for 6K, I am in the pool daily.

Now like most pool owners 100% first year 75% second ETC if the bug wears off in 4-5 years I can sell this and the deck plant grass and I am done.

54K is a lot of cash for a extra large planter if we stopped using it!

John

We bought a fixer-upper home with a 70's IG pool.
Had it 5 yrs and liked it.
When we built our current house in 2006, we planned to add a pool later.
Now is later, we didn't even consider AG as we had IG experience.
We built something you could not do with IG.

I live in central PA and went with an inground, swimming season is plenty long and nothing like not being able to touch the bottom in the deep end with your head above water, if you have the money go for inground, you won't regret it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will say that IG is much more expensive, but if you're like me, After the pool, the heater, the deck, etc, you could have upwards of 12k-15k in an AG setup easy. And that's building the (wrap around) deck yourself.

We went to local IG dealers and asked for last years models. Fiberglass inserts, etc. We were quoted a price of 18k-20k for a kidney shaped pool installed with a small concrete walkway all the way around. Any additional patio/deck/sitting area was extra.

We went with the AG because of price, but when we are all said and done, we wont be much below the price of an IG.

another option would be to bury an inground pool, basically a cheap way to get a large pool and enjoy benefit of it be below ground. my uncle had this type of setup and it was nice. top of pool was about 1-2 feet above grade and he built a nice deck around it.

Personally, I dont like how AG pool just block the view of everything in the yard. An IG looks much nicer. You pay for the view, why block it?

Also, I personally like swimming in a deep end. I dont have a diving board, and would not call myself a diver, but I just like being able to tread water, dive down to teh deep bottom, etc.

I also swim laps, and like to do turns and push off of the walls, which you cant really do with AG.

Not sure this applies for you in Arkansas, as I am uncertain of your weather, but the safety covers for an IG are so much nicer than the old tarps and water bags. Makes opening much easier. You dont get all teh leaves and dirty water into the pool. Not sure if you can do this with an AG (maybe if you have complete deck around and anchor it to the deck).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.