New to SWG

May 20, 2013
Millbrae, CA
Admittedly absent minded and forgetful chlorine pool user here. I normally just buy 3 gallon packages of bleach from Costco here for $9. I do tend to neglect the pool and often let FC levels get too low or even to zero at times. I do SLAM the pool to get things back to normal and for the most part the pool stays clean throughout the year. Knowing that I'm forgetful and/or lazy at times, I started looking into SWG systems.

Given the higher start up costs I'm trying to figure out if its worth it in my situation. I wouldn't have to pay attention to FC levels anywhere near as much with SWG's right? That would be a huge plus that I'm happy to pay for. Plus the time saved from running to Costco every few weeks for more chlorine. Any other pros and cons I should be aware of?

you sound like the perfect candidate for a SWG :) you still need to do testing as much as possible, but the SWG gives you the ability to miss a day or 2 during the week and you do not have to haul anything :) the cost is close to the same so no worries there and you already stated the cost is up front....

now you have to decide what type you want, I would get at least a 45k or 60k for your size pool

here is a brand comparison that this company did Full Market Comparison of Salt Chlorine Generators

The circupool SWG come with a free upgrade to the next size right now.. :) Alot of people really like the hayward t15 SWG also

I bought the SI-30. I have a 14k pool, and I leave it on 38%. Small tweaks every few days keeps me within spec, depending on sun exposure. I admittedly don't check it daily, maybe every other day, or every third day with PH. Then a full set of tests weekly. I usually keep FC about 2-3ppm above recommended with no issues.

It is probably the best thing I have added to my pool.

The circupool SWG come with a free upgrade to the next size right now.. :) Alot of people really like the hayward t15 SWG also

The circupool SWG come with a free upgrade to the next size ALL THE TIME...it's not something that seems to ever go away, so don't feel under the gun about making a purchase over that.

From what I can tell, the SI series is a knock off of the Hayward Aquarite...in fact, I can't understand why Hayward hasn't sued the carp out of them over it it's so similar in nearly every way, even down to how the software and leds work. That said, seems to be working just fine for me since I've installed it.

You definitely sound like the right use case for a SWG...I got mine because while I could stay on top of the chlorine when I'm home, when I travel for work my wife wouldn't...she'd say she would, and then not test the water, much less add anything for three days, and you can't have that when you're liquid dosing. So putting in a SWG at least gives me peace of mind that I have a good shot of coming home to clear water when I have to leave.

One thing to keep in mind as a possible negative, the SWGs will slightly raise the pH, so you might find yourself having to add muriatic acid periodically, though probably not as often as you were adding chlorine. I'm still adding small amounts of MA daily, but I have a newly re-plastered pool. At least if my pH gets out of whack for a few days while I'm out of town I can bring that back in line pretty quickly and easily without a whole lot of pain.

Also consider you may have to run your pump longer than you currently do to properly chlorinate the pool...not sure if you're running on a timer and doing ultra low run times or not...

We converted to SWG three years ago, and have been very happy. The pool is at our second home, and is cared for by my folks when we are not around. You will need to keep your numbers in tight range or Calcium Scaling will impact the performance of your SWG. Get your TA down in the 60-70 range, and the only thing you will be adding on a regular basis is Muriatic Acid. We buy it for $5 per gallon and add a cup or so every other day. We also have a 14,000 gallon pool, and chose a Pentair IC-40, rated at 40K Gallons. We run it at 40% most of the time. Our pool has full sun most of the day, with some shade provided by a tree in the late afternoon.

My SWG is perfect for my busy lifestyle. You still have to test water periodically and it takes a bit to figure out he best setting for different times of year, but you aren't lugging and pouring gallons of bleach very often. I keep bleach on hand for emergencies such as critters in the pool who suck out the FC or lots of swimmers. Now that I'm completely TFP, I'm super glad we went with the SWG when we built. My original decision was because I liked the feel of SW pools vs chlorine, but what I've since learned is that a properly balanced pool is a properly balanced pool and the water should all feel the same. I just never knew [emoji6].

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I'll start looking into which model and the costs associated.

One thing that will be a factor also is energy consumption. I spent years on an older money sucking pump before moving to my Intelliflo. Now I have solar power at the house also so I don't want to start getting back into other items that will start ramping up power usage quickly.

How long do you run the pump now and at what rpm... I think you will be fine with the amount of time and rpm it running for solar heating

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Over the years I have found that pool owners get caught up in the SWG will do everything mode. Remember it only generates chlorine, you still need to test and adjust as needed. Also testing for pH, alkalinity, etc.................. is still necessary. If you live in an area with a lot of rainfall you will have dilution and may need to add more salt. Make sure to test with an independent test kit or at a pool store before adding more salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.