Timers on skimmers?

So I am still learning a lot in a crash course on pool care. I have been browsing other threads and trying to find things I need and need to do that I didn't know.

Anyway, I see mention of timers a lot on skimmers and filters? So basically I plugged my pump, skimmer into the wall and just let it run. Now I see some saying timers are used and I thought that might help but then again what is the theory or thought behind this. One of the problems I am having is since I have round pool and a round solar blanket. it pretty much sits there and spins as fast as the water does. Also the return has a pretty good force, so yeah my water is swirling pretty good my solar blanket spins about 10 rpm around the pool. Also the force of the return tends to blow the edges up on my solar blanket. So would putting a timer on this help. If so what is the rule of thumb? Like how long do you run your skimmer?

See pictures.
This is inside the pool you can see how far the solar cover gets blown back.
20150708_174334_zps4loe3mro.jpg

Outside view, this is the pump and skimmer and my inspector.
20150708_174322_zpsgiwuwjpx.jpg

That's your pump? That thing is tiny. I've never seen one like that. Is there not a filter, or is the filter in the skimmer? I can't believe the amount of water flow it's producing. Timers are usually used so you don't spend more on electricity to run it than you have to. I doubt a timer would help your solar cover much. Seems like it would just be pushed around for shorter periods of time. You could get some of the solar cover roller straps and fasten the cover in a couple spots to stop the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A timer is just to save electricity. If you want it to run four hours during the day and you're gone to work for ten, it'll run for ten without a timer.

I guess that's kind of my question. How long does the pump need to run and when it the best time. Is there a rule of thumb on this? I am assuming you want it to run after adding chemicals for a few hours. Also after swimming, or during swimming. So it cleans anything you put in the pool out. Maybe a few hours before you get in to get rid of bugs and so on. Other than that does it need to run? Is it hurting anything by running so much other than electrical use. Like is it causing me more evaporation or anything like that causing more chemicals to be used. Should you run it at night less evaporation?

That's your pump? That thing is tiny. I've never seen one like that. Is there not a filter, or is the filter in the skimmer? I can't believe the amount of water flow it's producing. Timers are usually used so you don't spend more on electricity to run it than you have to. I doubt a timer would help your solar cover much. Seems like it would just be pushed around for shorter periods of time. You could get some of the solar cover roller straps and fasten the cover in a couple spots to stop the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep that's my pump and there is a filter in there. First time I turned it on I was stunned myself.

Here is a picture down inside the skimmer. There is a basket on top to catch the large stuff and then the filter you can see in blue down below. It is a single Intex Type A Filter.
20150709_211357_zpszq61qisz.jpg

Picture of the flow coming out. It would have been nice if they would have put the thing a bit lower. Like right below the min fill line. I am right between the min and max level and it is still out over the water. My solar cover is on in this picture but you can't see it because it is blown back that far. You can also see the floating thermometer there and how strong the current is to almost level it out on the water.
20150709_211450_zps4ed4hu2l.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.