Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding large amounts of liquid chlorine question

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding large amounts of liquid chlorine question

I've read on here that it is best to put your chemicals into the deep end of the pool because that's where the returns are located. When adding large amounts of liquid chlorine could this bleach or discolor my plaster? If so, is there a better method? Or I don't have anything to worry about. It just concerned me. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding large amounts of liquid chlorine question

You will routinely see us posting that we pour contents "slowly" near a return with the pump circulating/mixing the chemicals for at least 30 minutes. Some liquid chemicals are heavier that water, so even brushing can help to ensure it get dissipated. But not everyone's returns are at the deep end. My return jets are in the shallow end, and my skimmer in the deep end. Still, if you follow these procedures you should have no problems at all. This applies to all types of pools (plaster, fiberglass, vinyl, etc).
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what Texas Splash said. Deep End isn't important. In front of a return is VERY important.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My returns are in my deep end. I have a sitting ledge the whole width of the pool in the deep end as well that is only 18 inches deep. This is why I am so concerned. I guess I'll just pour it in more towards the middle.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, pour more towards the middle of the pool. You can also lightly brush the side, shelf, and bottom of the pool in the area where you've added chemicals. That will help a lot towards ensuring thorough mixing.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"