Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why does my Raypak Heater Cycle off too soon?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why does my Raypak Heater Cycle off too soon?

Hoping someone might have some suggestions to help me identify/troubleshoot my heater problem.

I have a Rheem/Raypak 206A heater that recently began mysteriously cycling off prematurely. It will fire up and run fine for up to about 3 minutes, sometimes much less, and then cycle off and not restart unless I manually turn the temperature knob down to almost zero, and then back up to the red zone. Then it will fire up again for a few minutes and shut off again. In the meantime my pool temp has fallen from the low 80s to the low 70s and still it won't stay running, leaving me with a very chilly pool.

I've backwashed the filter well, and verified that I'm getting good flow from the pump through the system. I presume a thermostat or similar part needs replacing, but cannot really tell from the manual the likely culprit.

Does anyone have any suggestion for most likely places to start troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance.
    25,000 gallon, vinyl IG, Pentair Superflo 1 HP Dual Speed pump, Hayward S-240 sand filter, SWG, Raypak M206A heater, Polaris Pool Cleaner 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why does my Raypak Heater Cycle off too soon?

You're on the right trail, it likely is a thermostat problem. It's cycling off because it's detecting a higher temperature than actual. It could also be that your pressure sensor switch needs adjustment. See page 38 of your manual here: http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/fet...5-1e29edd2f913 Check your filter pressure as well. Dirty filter can restrict flow, tripping the pressure switch off.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Do not adjust the pressure switch. When they come from the factory they are set as they should be. The little dial is sort of locked in place. The only time you need to adjust this part is if the pool/spa sits way above the heater and the force of the downward pressure of the water could trigger the heater. So no need to adjust this at all. Plus you already cleaned the filter per your message so you eliminated that as an issue.

Since you have a dial on yours, you have a much older unit. What's the exact model number of it? You could have an issue with the thermostat board or the temp sensor.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    or the temp sensor.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

Paul,

It could be old - we bought the house a few years ago so don't know the exact age.

The label identifies it as model # P-M206A-MN-C

Thanks for any further feedback!

Do not adjust the pressure switch. When they come from the factory they are set as they should be. The little dial is sort of locked in place. The only time you need to adjust this part is if the pool/spa sits way above the heater and the force of the downward pressure of the water could trigger the heater. So no need to adjust this at all. Plus you already cleaned the filter per your message so you eliminated that as an issue.

Since you have a dial on yours, you have a much older unit. What's the exact model number of it? You could have an issue with the thermostat board or the temp sensor.
    25,000 gallon, vinyl IG, Pentair Superflo 1 HP Dual Speed pump, Hayward S-240 sand filter, SWG, Raypak M206A heater, Polaris Pool Cleaner 280

6. Back To Top    #6

Strangest thing - the heater seems to be cycling and functioning properly again. Don't know why it stopped for several days, don't know why it started back up again. Just hoping it continues.

Sometimes I feel like Columbus in the old joke:Before he left he didn't know where he was going, when he got there he didn't know where he was, and once he left he didn't know where he had been.

But better to have things good and not know why, then have things bad and know why. I guess.

Thanks for the help. Don't be surprised if I'm back with the same issue some day though!