iron in water

Jul 9, 2015
Bainbridge, NY
ok everyone, just had the pool filled 3 days ago. I know before hand the the water had a high iron content. i used 2 bottles of metal magic and then shocked with dichlor approx 2 hrs later as directed. water didn't look too bad. had water tested Tuesday & alk & PH were high so they told me to dump 6#s of PH down. after that water looked a littler better. 2 hrs later we notice the water getting progressively more "rust" color. now its to the point where you can barley see bottom. according to the pool store 2 bottles of MM should've been plenty but i grabbed a 3rd today to dump in. Alk is still a little high so i also added more #'s of ph down as directed

i know chlorine will react with the iron but has anyone seen the water get word 8 hrs or so after shocking? i would though its get better, not worse

test results as of this morning
TC - 8.4
FC - 8.4
PH - 7.7
ALK - 180
CH - 325
Stab - 55

Dave, it is true that as FC rises, it might even get worse looking. Many people have it filtered away in a few days on its own, or resort to the use of a metal sequestrant to help filter it. But that didn't work for you. This is from a previous discussion:
"If it starts to look like coffee, then it requires immediate action. Here are a couple links you may find useful:"
Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
Removing iron from pool
Maybe this will help while you wait for more replies.

I get that but the FC has actually dropped a bit from 10 to 8.4 in 48 hrs. unless there about a 24 hr or so delay for the iron to react with the FC. I wouldnt say its quite coffee colored yet but its on its way.

one thing i didnt mention was Ive backwashed 3x last night ans i am getting a lot of nast water out the backwash hose so i assume thats a positive sign. I just became concerned as i watched it get worse before my eyes

SO i assume i just keep at it with multiple backwashing through out the day & it should eventually clear up? Staining of the liner & white goods also concernes me. right now i can wipe off the rust coloring with a finger

So, have you tested your fill water from the well? The trash water they sent to you can be resolved but if your refill water is also iron-laden, you need to develop a strategy to deal with that.

I have a high iron content in my well water. however I have a water softener that removes most of it.

Pool water looks a little better today. I just didn't think it would take this long to clear up & I'm still puzzled why it took roughly 48 hrs after shocking it see the reaction

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.