Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: iron in water

1. Back To Top    #1

iron in water

ok everyone, just had the pool filled 3 days ago. I know before hand the the water had a high iron content. i used 2 bottles of metal magic and then shocked with dichlor approx 2 hrs later as directed. water didn't look too bad. had water tested Tuesday & alk & PH were high so they told me to dump 6#s of PH down. after that water looked a littler better. 2 hrs later we notice the water getting progressively more "rust" color. now its to the point where you can barley see bottom. according to the pool store 2 bottles of MM should've been plenty but i grabbed a 3rd today to dump in. Alk is still a little high so i also added more #'s of ph down as directed

i know chlorine will react with the iron but has anyone seen the water get word 8 hrs or so after shocking? i would though its get better, not worse

test results as of this morning
    TC - 8.4
    FC - 8.4
    PH - 7.7
    ALK - 180
    CH - 325
    Stab - 55
    Dave

26' wooden octagon AGP l 48" wall height l 175# sand filter l 1.5 HP Hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: iron in water

Dave, it is true that as FC rises, it might even get worse looking. Many people have it filtered away in a few days on its own, or resort to the use of a metal sequestrant to help filter it. But that didn't work for you. This is from a previous discussion:
    "If it starts to look like coffee, then it requires immediate action. Here are a couple links you may find useful:"
    Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    Removing iron from pool
    Maybe this will help while you wait for more replies.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Here's another good post on iron: Filling my pool with well water
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I get that but the FC has actually dropped a bit from 10 to 8.4 in 48 hrs. unless there about a 24 hr or so delay for the iron to react with the FC. I wouldnt say its quite coffee colored yet but its on its way.

one thing i didnt mention was Ive backwashed 3x last night ans i am getting a lot of nast water out the backwash hose so i assume thats a positive sign. I just became concerned as i watched it get worse before my eyes

SO i assume i just keep at it with multiple backwashing through out the day & it should eventually clear up? Staining of the liner & white goods also concernes me. right now i can wipe off the rust coloring with a finger
    Dave

26' wooden octagon AGP l 48" wall height l 175# sand filter l 1.5 HP Hayward pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Once you get this cleared up, have you made provisions for fill water that doesn't have all the iron?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

beleive it or not this was not from my well. it was hauled in by a neighboring fire dept pumped from one of their villiage hydrants. there are not a whole lot of economical choices as far as having water from a different source trucked in
    Dave

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

So, have you tested your fill water from the well? The trash water they sent to you can be resolved but if your refill water is also iron-laden, you need to develop a strategy to deal with that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a high iron content in my well water. however I have a water softener that removes most of it.

Pool water looks a little better today. I just didn't think it would take this long to clear up & I'm still puzzled why it took roughly 48 hrs after shocking it see the reaction
    Dave