We have a new above-ground 10'x30" steel-frame pool.
We filled it up and the kids played for a few days and then I found this website and realised that I needed to put chemicals in the pool. The water had got a bit cloudy (I think my youngest may not have been getting out to pee...) We drained the pool, scrubbed it and re-filled it.
The kids played in it for a day or so when we first re-filled it before I had a chance to get to the store for bleach and a test kit, but it was not cloudy at all this time (we gave the kids a big lecture!)
So, I bought a simple test kit (NOT strips!) and put the appropriate amount of chlorine in (as determined through the pool math calculator).
When I went to check the levels an hour later, the chlorine was not registering.
I added the same amount of chlorine again and tested 30 minutes later and then again a few hours later and still at zero for chlorine.
I then read that it may be that the pool needed to be shocked, so I did the math on that and added the appropriate amount of bleach, as well as some CYA in a sock in the skimmer basket (the temp. has been in the high 30s recently so I was worried that the heat from the sun was burning up the FC quickly). I let the pump run all day and tested the levels and the chlorine was off the chart as was the PH. That was three days ago.
Two days ago I tested the levels again and both Ph and FC had come down but were still at the top of the scale and too high, so I left it for another two days.
Today I checked the levels and FC is not registering at all, but the Ph is perfect.
How can I get the FC to the correct level without altering the Ph? and can my kid swim in it like this (he's desperate, having had to wait three days already)?
I'm really confused by all the chemistry... any help greatly appreciated!
FC - zero
Ph - 7.6
Capacity of pool: 1236 gallons