Getting Prepared for Pool Ownership

Jon in Albany

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2015
Latham, NY
The pool is under construction and the backyard is completely trashed. The concrete sidewalk is supposed to get poured today. After that, there are a few minor things but the pool contractor is basically done and I'm on my own managing the pool.

After finding this forum, there was no doubt the chlorinator was not going to make me happy. I think it will work well if we are away, but some testing showed that the CYA levels would go through the roof by the end of the summer. I'm using it now because the CYA is still a little low, and in there should be wet concrete around the pool tonight.

Here are my current test results
FC 5
CC looked less than .5 but not 0
TC 5.5
TA 70
CYA 30
CH 200
pH 7.5
The pool is very clear. There's some dirt on the bottom that I can't wait to vacuum up.

Here's my plan. I'd love to know if I'm screwing up. My wife is a little skeptical about TFP and already thinks I'm obsessed with testing the water. I don't have much room for error.

Run pucks in the chlorinator until the CYA is 40.

I placed an order for boric granules. They should be here in a few days and I'm keeping the TA low for that. Once the borate is in, I'll raise the TA to about 90. I'm hoping to not mess up the pH too much.

After that, I'll bring the FC to 6 nightly (the pool gets full sun) with 12.5% I got at a local pool place in 2.5 gallon reusable jugs.

The little bit of CC bothers me. So far it seems low enough to not worry about it and SLAM, but being a nerd I'd prefer a 0 reading.

Is this a good plan?
Will raising the FC a bit (to say 10) but not shock level help with the CC?

Is there a recommendation for FC level above the target for a pool party?

Many thanks. This site has been quite an education.

You're doing just fine. I'd hold off on the boric acid until you get the hang of your pH. Just maintain your pH between 7.4 and 7.8 and only add acid when it goes ABOVE 7.8. No need to worry about raising your TA. Let your TA live at a level that gives you the least pH rise. If it gets below 60, bring it back up to 80. How is your pH rise right now?

How proficient are you at testing? When you use the FAS-DPD test for FC do you add drops until the last drop does not produce a color change and not counting that drop for FC? Do you immediately add the 5 drops of R-0003 and note the color? It could be a false CC reading if you're not adding that last drop on FC testing and not performing the CC test immediately/quickly after.

Before a party, I like to bring mine up to 8-10 FC (my CYA is 40).

Learning more already...

No, I have not been adding that extra drop. Once the test turns clear, I record the reading and add the 5 drops for the CC test. Maybe I am seeing a false reading.

The pH has been 7.5 every time I've tested it with the kit. There seems to be some variation with strips, but I have only used the strips foe a ballpark. The strips seem better than useless, but nothing accurate..

I thought the boric granules minimized changes to the pH. Am I wrong? I order from a site recommended in a borate thread.

Learning more already...

No, I have not been adding that extra drop. Once the test turns clear, I record the reading and add the 5 drops for the CC test. Maybe I am seeing a false reading.

The pH has been 7.5 every time I've tested it with the kit. There seems to be some variation with strips, but I have only used the strips foe a ballpark. The strips seem better than useless, but nothing accurate..

I thought the boric granules minimized changes to the pH. Am I wrong? I order from a site recommended in a borate thread.

I'm not sure how long you've been testing and been at a pH of 7.5 but if it's been there for a week or longer, you're likely very close to the optimum TA for your pool. As you may have read in Pool School. TA and pH are very closely linked. High TA and you'll have faster pH rise. Low TA and your pH rise is slower. TA too low however gives your water very little buffer against pH changes and can vary wildly with small changes in chemistry so it's best to keep at or above 70 in most cases. Your usage of trichlor is likely helping to keep your pH down because it's acidic so you may have more pH rise once you discontinue using them but at your currently low range (but just fine!) TA, I wouldn't expect much pH rise unless you have lots of sources of aeration like waterfalls, deckjets, etc.

what JVTrain said.
when you stop using the pucks, then you;ll find out what your pH rise really is, and then address from that point.

About that tiny bit of CC.
It happens from time to time, and pretty much to everyone, and with seemingly no realy reason why. Maybe 1 too many bugs in the skimmer or leaves in the pool.
If you are worreid about algae, the real inidcator for that is to do a OCLT. CC alone, and especially at 1 drop or less to go clear, is not a reason to do a SLAM.

I raise my FC by 5ppm if Im going to have a pool party. That works for me.

Thank you JVTRain, MarianParoo and Divin Dave.

The concrete didn't get poured today. Too strong of a chance for afternoon rain. I think I might fish out the last of the pucks tomorrow afternoon and try to go full TFP this weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.