Catalunya, Spain
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
...and another suggestion!

Hello, Hola, Bonjour and G’day

I mentioned this suggestion during my thread about pump pressure problems but it has been lost in the depths of time so thought I’d resurrect it again here. There are a number of non US folk here and the info gained from this site is invaluable in breaking away from the pool store monopoly. The problems arise when we try to find the test kits or the chemicals you are using and struggle badly. Borax is banned in Europe (in anything other than miniscule packets), Bleach is only sold in “less than 5%” bottles (usually 3.5%) and we might as well throw in the towel (after a quick dip of course) if we mention sequestrant or Jack’s Magic The Pink Stuff to the lad in the local DIY store.

It was mentioned that the idea of a separate non US section had been tabled before but it was decided that there wouldn’t be enough call for it, I disagree and here’s why. If a regular guy from the UK (for example) stumbles across this site and decides to try the TFP method, he might give up after realising that it is very US orientated and the products spoken about aren’t available in the UK. This guy isn’t going to show up on your radar and neither will all the others who pass by silently, cursing their luck. I don’t think there’s a need to create separate country sections (not yet anyway) as it will be quite easy to search that forum for posts relating to your county. I read a thread about Borates and was getting all excited about tweaking the water for that extra smooth feel…..and then by page six discovered Borax wasn’t available in Europe….Noooooooooooooo!!! That was an hour of my life I’ll never get back but at least it only took me a week or two to get over the disappointment. :p

If you build it, they will come. I think that’s all I need to say. I’ve read websites for Brits that have moved to sunnier climates asking pool related questions and the answers they were getting were shocking. A Rest of The World section would make it easier for us to point them this way as it would contain where to get decent test kits, what to expect from your bottle of bleach, cost comparisons between bleach and liquid chlorine, forget about using borates etc.

Thoughts?

When we were a smaller site it probably didn't make sense since there weren't enough people to support that, but now according to Quantcast, 87% of traffic is U.S. so 13% is out of the U.S. The number in terms of monthly uniques from cookies is pretty astounding as follows (these numbers change through the year, but right now is just off form the peak that is usually at the end of May and beginning of June):

Uniques . Members . Country
419,548 ... >80,000 ... United States
. 41,772 ........ 1350 ... Canada (and "British Columbia", "Alberta", "Seskatchewan", "Manitoba", "Ontario", "Quebec", "New Brunswick", "Nova Scotia")
... 3,672 .......... 146 ... United Kingdom (and "Great Britain", "UK", "Scotland", but includes extra like "Yukon")
... 2,689 .......... 219 ... Australia
... 1,151 ............ 44 ... France
...... 629 ............ 35 ... Spain
...... 594 ............ 28 ... South Africa
...... 495 ............ 22 ... Germany
...... 486 .............. 8 ... Russia
...... 371 ............. 31 ... India ("India" 352 minus "Indiana" 321)
...... 349 ............. 14 ... Belgium
...... 326 ............. 61 ... Mexico
...... 315 ............. 21 ... Sweden
...... 299 ............. 31 ... New Zealand
...... 289 ............. 11 ... Netherlands
...... 286 ............. 27 ... Italy
...... 250 ............. 15 ... Philippines
...... 248 ............. 13 ... Portugal
...... 229 ............. 20 ... Cyprus
...... 212 ............... 7 ... Austria
...... 198 ............. 19 ... Puerto Rico
...... 181 ............... 6 ... Switzerland
...... 165 ............. 23 ... Thailand
...... 153 ............. 10 ... China
...... 151 ............... 3 ... Malaysia
...... 148 ............... 4 ... Norway
...... 131 ............... 4 ... United Arab Emrites (UAE)
...... 130 ............... 7 ... Israel
...... 110 ............... 4 ... Denmark
...... 108 ............... 1 ... Ireland
...... 103 .............. 10 ... Greece
...... 102 ................ 5 ... Trinidad and Tobago
........ 98 ................ 7 ... Singapore
........ 86 ................ 3 ... Turkey
........ 82 ................ 6 ... Brazil
........ 82 ................ 3 ... Malta
........ 82 ................ 2 ... Saudi Arabia
........ 81 ................ 1 ... Hungary
........ 76 ................ 8 ... Indonesia
........ 75 ................ 1 ... Slovenia
........ 73 ................ 4 ... Poland
........ 71 ................ 2 ... Hong Kong
........ 67 .............. 10 ... Costa Rica
........ 66 ................ 2 ... Romania
........ 66 ................ 3 ... Ukraine
........ 66 ................ 0 ... Czech Republic
........ 58 ................ 2 ... Bermuda
........ 57 ................ 5 ... Finland
........ 57 ................ 4 ... Bulgaria
........ 55 ................ 3 ... Serbia
........ 53 ................ 0 ... Republic of Korea
........ 53 ................ 3 ... Slovakia
........ 51 ................ 5 ... Japan
........ 51 ................ 5 ... Bahamas
:
:

Now many of these may be searchers who once seeing the site was not in English then left, but we know from registrations that there are quite a few in English speaking countries and also a significant number of expats and English speakers in non-English speaking countries. I put above for some countries the number of members who posted that Country in their City/State profile. In the list above there are 1617 members from outside of the U.S. so while less than 2% of all members, it is nevertheless well over a thousand people who could be helped by a "Rest of the World" section that focuses on differences and local discussions. Note that not everyone puts in their location so there are likely many more out of U.S. members than indicated.

Not just a chem geek but a stat geek as well!

Very interesting reading. 146 Brits and 219 Aussies make sense being English speaking countries and there are 35 of us in Spain, that's a lot of local shared knowledge that could be put to good use.

Excellent post chem geek....as per usual. :handshake:

This forum is all about pool owners helping other pool owners. This suggestion makes it easier for them to find each other for help.

+1 for a rest of the world section

Thanks to the great info on this forum, and some very specific advice from the ever helpful mods I have kept my very first pool 100% trouble free for two seasons :) But it does take some investigation to make use of TFP wisdom outside the US.

For example I can't find MA in any local store, but Hydrochloric Acid is easy to find and cheap to buy on ebay.co.uk. Likewise it's very hard to find a DPD-FAS kit this side of the pond, but thanks to a couple of old TFP threads I know the pitfalls of using a DPD comparitor, so by being careful I have managed to get by with just that. I guess the average pool owner is looking for simple, straightforward advice so I have often thought I should share these insights for the benefit of other local members, but I'm never quite sure where to post it.

About the lack of non-US members I think it's a bit chicken and egg - if there were a specific section for 'rest of world' the great TFP methods would become more readily accessible for a wider audience, then maybe the forum would find more members joining from around the world.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.