Rain impacted brushed concrete finish. Can it be fixed?

poolnorthernva

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 14, 2015
Leesburg, Va
A storm got the second half of our patio pour yesterday.
A portion of our patio decking has gotten swales and marks from water build up on the plastic cover. I hope to talk with PB later today, can this be fixed?

Here is the plastic sheet after work was done, we had a major down pour afterwards.
19364049479_5476bcaae2.jpg

Here are some close ups.
19362615780_086aa718a2.jpg

19554832841_997f3d82f9.jpg

19543800772_24e35ddf18.jpg

Deep sigh

They can grind it off. I actually like ground concrete that exposes some of the aggregate. I have a walk that we did like that about 40 years ago and it's still good looking today.

About the only other thing they can do is break it up and re-pour. I would not let them skim coat it.

They can grind it off. I actually like ground concrete that exposes some of the aggregate. I have a walk that we did like that about 40 years ago and it's still good looking today.

About the only other thing they can do is break it up and re-pour. I would not let them skim coat it.
Skim coat is applying a new thin surface I assume. That sounds like it could chip and flake in the long run?

NorthernVA: I'm so sorry about the storm on your deck! I was just thinking about you last night and wondering how things were going with you and the finishing stages. Let us know how this works out. No more storms!!!

Bama Rambler: I'm curious, also, about the ground concrete with lightly exposed aggregate. I have a front porch that might be nice on. I would guess it's less slippery than smooth concrete, right?

Could you post a picture of yours when you get a chance? Thanks!
Suz.

Were they going to stain this afterwards to complement the coping?

Before you sign on for a solution proposed by your PB I would have a couple of concrete refinishing guys come out and look at it. They are generally not cheap. But you may be able to get your PB to kick in some. And they can produce wonderful results -- but you need one who can show you work they did five years ago.

NorthernVA: I'm so sorry about the storm on your deck! I was just thinking about you last night and wondering how things were going with you and the finishing stages. Let us know how this works out. No more storms!!!

The PB will be by on Sat. Not sure how it will go.

- - - Updated - - -

Were they going to stain this afterwards to complement the coping?

Before you sign on for a solution proposed by your PB I would have a couple of concrete refinishing guys come out and look at it. They are generally not cheap. But you may be able to get your PB to kick in some. And they can produce wonderful results -- but you need one who can show you work they did five years ago.

We were not planning on staining. Thanks for the 5 year old work suggestion.

Power washer is usually how exposed aggragate decks become "exposed". Depending on how long your concrete has been curing, if its turned really hard, muriatic acid, and stiff brush and a power washer might help, but needs to be done asap.

Some of the better concrete finishers can grind off the top if thats what it comes to.

Some one suggested a strong power wash to peel away the top layer. Not sure. Sounds a lot like sanding to aggregate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Power washer is usually how exposed aggragate decks become "exposed". Depending on how long your concrete has been curing, if its turned really hard, muriatic acid, and stiff brush and a power washer might help, but needs to be done asap.

Some of the better concrete finishers can grind off the top if thats what it comes to.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am reaching out to some local concrete people to see what they say. So far it has been the skim solution of some sort. But they are all trying to sell me a solution.

honestly, this is your PB's problem, you didn't cause it. unless you demanded they pour right before the storm, which I don't think. if you wont accept it, then have them tear it out and re-do it. you paid good money and they are responsible to provide whats in the contract. don't let them beat you up over it. they are not your friend, they are your contractor that you paid a lot of money too. I see people accept too many things from their contractors that they shouldn't. Don't be afraid to tell them NO...you are the boss.

Is it actual impressions or is it more like a discoloration? It's hard to tell from the pics. If it is a discoloration it will bleach out over time. When we cover concrete with visqueen to help it cure it dries unevenly like that but the result is fewer cracks and stronger concrete. If it's impressions and the brush marks are flattened out tell him to get the jackhammer. A skim or top coat wouldn't fly with me.

Can you post a better closeup of the worst part?

Is it actual impressions or is it more like a discoloration? It's hard to tell from the pics. If it is a discoloration it will bleach out over time. When we cover concrete with visqueen to help it cure it dries unevenly like that but the result is fewer cracks and stronger concrete. If it's impressions and the brush marks are flattened out tell him to get the jackhammer. A skim or top coat wouldn't fly with me.

Can you post a better closeup of the worst part?

I took a closer look and it is discoloration. I thought it was physical swales but when I got down close the brush marks flow evenly throughout. I found this link about plastic over concrete Beware Covering with Plastic! | Indiana Decorative Concrete Network It is discoloration because of the curing process. The link says though that the marks are more permanent and won't bleach out. Have you seen discoloration this pronounced before? Over time I assume is many years.

I spoke with one concrete guy, sent him a picture. He suggested I look at staining. He recommended I look at this product. getnewlook.com It is a stain.

Edit: I found another link on how the discoloration occurs. Our concrete cured in multiple shades. Can we fix it?

All I can say for sure is it will look better than it does now. It is still curing. Yes I have seen worse. Yes the older it gets the more even it will get but we are talking a couple of years. I don't know that it ever completely 100% evens out as much as the concrete just ages and it hides some of it. You will know a lot more in a week or two. We never had anyone that wanted any replaced because of it.

What would concern me more is if they did two different pours then you will have that section and a normal section.

They will probably say it needs a couple of weeks to a month to even out before making a firm decision. That is pretty reasonable but then how much cash do you hold back?

The biggest question is will it be acceptable to you?

All I can say for sure is it will look better than it does now. It is still curing. Yes I have seen worse. Yes the older it gets the more even it will get but we are talking a couple of years. I don't know that it ever completely 100% evens out as much as the concrete just ages and it hides some of it. You will know a lot more in a week or two. We never had anyone that wanted any replaced because of it.

What would concern me more is if they did two different pours then you will have that section and a normal section.
They will probably say it needs a couple of weeks to a month to even out before making a firm decision. That is pretty reasonable but then how much cash do you hold back?

The biggest question is will it be acceptable to you?

Met with PB.

You are correct. We are going to give it 30 days and see how it cures. We will hold our final payment till then. He was pretty upset about the appearance. He said two options if it is still bad, look at a coating of some type of stain or jackhammer and replace. So we re-evaluate in 30 days.

I offered an escrow for the money. He said that wasn't necessary. But I am thinking what if we disagree in 30 days on the appearance.

its not going to look better in 30 days. tell him to tear out and replace. do not accept a stain/coating. you paid for the product to be correct, so have them put it in correct. if this was a DIY or self did job, then talking about fixes would be warranted, but you paid a contractor to do this work so hold him to it

if you are holding back final payment, you better make sure that it covers the full tear out and replacement costs. I would have get a third party quote on how much it would be, and make sure it includes demo/removal of the existing concrete, re-leveling, forming, pouring and finish. make sure your held back payment covers that because if your contractor walks you will need to do it.

also, make sure this dollar amount and scope of work for holding back payment is in WRITING.

I don't expect to get many thumbs up on this, but I personally kind of like the "life" that it adds to the concrete. I think after seeing it in person for a bit, I might just come to appreciate the natural effect, and in fact, enjoy it. It is natural in some respect, since it was created by rivers of water. I find myself seeing cool shapes it in, kind of like looking at the clouds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.