1. Back To Top    #1

PH questions

First off my readings are as following
    FC 9
    CC 0
    Alk 130
    Cal 250
    CYA 80
    10,000 gal fiberglass pool, single filter cartridge, and I live in sunny southwest Florida...

I work to keep my ph hovering around 7.4 .. According to my Taylor k-2006 my water is always balanced +/- 0.2..

My question is I use liquid chlorine ( now due to a CYA nightmare with the pucks and the ensuing algae bloom from CYA levels over 200 .. being a novice.... ) My ph by weeks end tends to end up at 8.0 is this a normal creep due to liquid chlorine or is there something I can tweek to keep it stable?
    10,000 gal fiberglass inground pool, single cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH questions

Try bringing the TA down to around 90 and see if the pH is more stable with TA at that level. Do you have anything running that churns and breaks the surface of the water, such as a return pointed up, waterfalls, or fountain? Water features aerate the water and cause pH to rise.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

No, its a simple pool two output jets at the shallow end, and a deep end intake and skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Pucks are acidic, so when you were using them before you were actually suppressing the natural rise of pH in your pool. zea has identified the most common causes of pH rise, but some pools just have rising pH. Heck, even kids swimming and splashing causes the pH to rise.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies! Being a first time pool owner I question everything... but if that's the normal progression in ph, im alright with that! I just hate sinking money into anything when I can easily change