Drain and re-level AFTER successful SLAM. So Painful!

aboykin2269

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Pittsboro NC
So this is my first pool and I'm learning as I go. I set my pool up on a paver patio that I built myself. I built the patio with a retaining wall and pavers and purposely had it slightly sloped for drainage. Once I set the pool up (following recomendations that came with the Intex SWG) I set the run time, added salt, and CYA and let it run. After a week or so the water turned green and cloudy. I found this website, went to Pool School, bought my TF-100, and performed my first SLAM. The result was perfect. Learned a lot about water chemistry and ended up with sparking clear water. If not for the light, you can hardly tell there's even water in there:

attachment.php

Unfortunately, the slope I intentionally put in the patio was making the pool lean quite a bit.

attachment.php

The houses are really close together in my neighborhood and there is a fence and neighbors house, downhill, directly behind mine. After reading (and seeing) nightmarish and expensive results from AGP failures, I decided that it was not safe, and not worth the financial risk to wait it out till the end of the season.
I began draining the pool yesterday and I'm going to take it down, pull up a good 2/3's of the pavers and re-level. Then I will set the pool back up and enjoy the rest of the summer worry free. It's going to take a lot of work, but once again, thanks to the folks at TFP for helping me make the right decision. Anyone else out there with an unlevel AGP, do the right thing. Do the safe thing. Get that pool level before some serious damage occurs, or even worse, someone gets hurt!
Happy Swiming everyone!
:paddle:

Attachments

• ladder clear at night.jpg
    ladder clear at night.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 751
  • leaning.jpg
    leaning.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 752
That is heartbreaking, but a smart move on your part Ant. It looked so clean and well done, and I suspect it will look just as good (if not better) after the re-level. Good luck.

Yes you are correct. I forgot to mention, it was a little over 4" out of level. Anythng over 1" is too much. But no worries. Like I said, I have learned a lot fromthis experience, and I am fully confident that following the TFP method, I will have perfect water right from the start.

aboykin - I am getting ready to drain and re-level too. Mine is out of whack a couple of inches and the legs looks really close to yours. How did yours go?

aboykin - I am getting ready to drain and re-level too. Mine is out of whack a couple of inches and the legs looks really close to yours. How did yours go?

Smart. Mine is still in progress. My patio is 20x20 and I built it with pavers. I had to rip up about 2/3's of the blocks (that's about 267 12x12 pavers), haul in a yard and a half of sand, and I am re-leveling now. Will probably have most of it done by Thursday (weather permitting) and start setting the POol back up by Friday. I'll let you know and post some pics. Good luck!

Almost done with re-leveling the patio. All the pavers are back in place and now I just to have fill the joints. Using polymeric sand. Planning on putting that down this evening and let it sit over night and thru the day tomorrow. Then I'm SETTING THE POOL BACK UP FRIDAY NIGHT! Hopefully I'll be in there sometime on Saturday! :party:
Can't wait.

Yea! We have got most of our new fence in place, next will be a small (2 ft tops) retaining wall around the corner of the yard where the pool will be, then level and move. I'm at a crossroad though right now, my pool is blue, but dull. Trying to figure out if I should get it crystal or just live with it for the next few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

It's an awful lot of work but you did the right thing! You'll be so glad you did it right the second time n not letting it go all summer. It'll look a heck of a lot better too.

Welcome to TFP. It's the best pool forum online. :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you get the pool reset?

Not yet. I had to fill in the joints between the pavers last night with poly sand. It has to cure over night and during the day today. When I get home from work this evening, I'm gonna re-set the pool and start filling it. I plan on letting go overnight so I can be IN IT TOMORROW! Woo Hoo! Man have I missed that poll since I had to take it down.
I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Also, this time around, I have a much better understanding of water Chemistry. I added CYA, Salt, and some chlorine to keep FC at target levels DURING filling. So once the water was high enough to reach the skimmer, I could turn on the SWG.
Here are my 1st test results after re-fill:
FC=5
CC=0
pH=7
TA=90
CH=75
HCl=3200
CYA~70 Can't measure yet.

So those #'s look pretty good I think. I know my pH is a little low and TA is a bit high, so I'm aerating to get the pH up a bit, then I will look at lowering the TA. Unless you folks think I should leave the TA alone?

- - - Updated - - -

Pool level - dog-approved. :) Very nice work. Based on all of those pavers, your back must be screaming. Enjoy!

You have no idea LOL! Yes it was back breaking work. But worth it. Now I have Trouble Free water and a worry free, SAFE pool!

Also, this time around, I have a much better understanding of water Chemistry. I added CYA, Salt, and some chlorine to keep FC at target levels DURING filling. So once the water was high enough to reach the skimmer, I could turn on the SWG.
Here are my 1st test results after re-fill:
FC=5
CC=0
pH=7
TA=90
CH=75
HCl=3200
CYA~70 Can't measure yet.

So those #'s look pretty good I think. I know my pH is a little low and TA is a bit high, so I'm aerating to get the pH up a bit, then I will look at lowering the TA. Unless you folks think I should leave the TA alone?

- - - Updated - - -

You have no idea LOL! Yes it was back breaking work. But worth it. Now I have Trouble Free water and a worry free, SAFE pool!

OH believe me she DOES know! Check out HER build thread! She is my hero!

Rounding the Corner... Install Completed 7/27/13

You did a wonderful job with your rebuild! The first one looks like a fun house pic!

Kim

Thanks Kim. That was an impressive read for sure. I have a little understanding of what Casey went thru as well. My Honey fell three years ago and shattered her shoulder. She had a severe proximal humerus fracture. After surgeries and months of physical therapy, they finally just replaced her shoulder. Now we are back to square one with her PT. But at least she has a nice, safe pool to float in now.

Gentle hugs to your Honey. NOT good to have to start all over but......at least there is an end in sight now. Her floating on a mat and doing the exercises will be wonderful for her.

I have had my husband in a wheelchair 3 times in our 30 year marriage. NOT fun but......it has been a while since the last time LOL

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.