Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper Hose for Backwashing an Intex?

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper Hose for Backwashing an Intex?

I have an Intex Ultra Frame with the sand filter and pump combo. For other owners of something similar, what hose or setup do you use when backwashing? I have a black hose with an end that fits inside the outlet but due to the water pressure I have to hold onto it the entire time. There MUST be something better. Help please!

Thanks,
    PJ
    Intex 24'x12'x52" Ultra Frame (2014), 8400 gallons (31800 litres), Intex sand filter and pump, Intex SWG, AquaBot Pura4xi, solar blanket. Proud owner of Hydropool Serenity 5 Hot Tub! Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Proper Hose for Backwashing an Intex?

I can't remember if my sand pump came with a hose specific for back washing or not. But since I already had the correct hoses with the pool, I used one of the extra hoses I didn't need that came with the pump to backwash. (Bought the pump after the pool) if I hadn't given the extra hoses to someone else, I'd offer them to you!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by PJBear View Post
    I have an Intex Ultra Frame with the sand filter and pump combo. For other owners of something similar, what hose or setup do you use when backwashing? I have a black hose with an end that fits inside the outlet but due to the water pressure I have to hold onto it the entire time. There MUST be something better. Help please!

Thanks,
    PJ
    I have this same setup and just figured out something that works. I took the white hose that you use to backwash and that connects to the inlets and took my vacuum hose to True Value and they found me a piece that fits securely in both. Now I just close the inlet hose, unscrew it and pop on the hose connected to the vacuum hose and turn the pump on. I get great suction and it works like a charm.

As far as the hoses, the filter should have come with one to use for backwashing, if not you can order them, they are pretty cheap I think.
    26' Intex 17k gallon above ground pool. 3000 GPH intex sand filter. Taylor Tech. k-2006 Test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I just use the cheap flat style blue backwash hose, slips over the fitting and I put a zip tie to hold it on.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I don't use anything. I just let it come out the waste port and water my lawn.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

6. Back To Top    #6

I made a fitting using the nut off of an old Intex hose. Kind of like what people use to hard plumb the lines. THIS THREAD HAS PICS. So here are the parts I used. CANTEX ADAPTER, 90 DEG ELBOW, and a short piece of 1 1/4" PVC to connect it together. Then I used a hose clamp to tighten the 1 1/2" BACKWASH HOSE to the male end of the 90* fitting. I hope this makes sense, I will try to take a picture of what I have to post.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

7. Back To Top    #7

I had one of those intex reducer pieces that can screw on to the backwash port. I used a hose clamp to attach one of those long blue back wash hoses to the reducer and water the surrounding trees.
    Diane

15,000 salty gallons - 24' x 12' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone! Lots of great ideas. I will go out an purchase a backwash hose and either use a hose clamp or a zip-tie. I think I can rig something up using your ideas.

PAGirl, thanks for the almost hose. You are so sweet!

Hope everyone gets lots of swimming in this weekend!

PJ
    Intex 24'x12'x52" Ultra Frame (2014), 8400 gallons (31800 litres), Intex sand filter and pump, Intex SWG, AquaBot Pura4xi, solar blanket. Proud owner of Hydropool Serenity 5 Hot Tub! Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

I just bought 2 replacement intex hoses, joined them together with a 1.5" coupler since I needed a longer length and use that. URL:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ATHFLA
    Intex 24' x 52" Metal Frame Pool
    Intex 2650 GPH Sand Filter & SWG Combo Pump