Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Amail - hi all!

1. Back To Top    #1

Amail - hi all!

Hello all! I found this site a week or so ago while researching automatic pool chemical systems. I'm looking forward to seeing my pool clear and clean with less effort than I'm expending now!

I've been using the five (six?) bottle test kit you find at Home Depot, but from what I'm reading now it appears to not be a complete enough kit. I just bought the TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD from Amazon and am anxious to see what my CYA levels are. I'm sure they're off.

I'm happy to see there are cheaper options for chlorine besides the $6.50 for two gallons from HD. I'm gonna go broke at the current rate of about 1.5 gallons/day I'm using.

Anyway, glad to be here! If there's any other info I should put in my sig line, just let me know and I'll add it.
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Amail - hi all!

Well hello there! SO happy to see you and see that your have already ordered a good test kit!

How does your water look now? You are not going to believe how clear it will be using TFP!

We would LOVE to see a pic of your pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!
    Oval Pool 31x18x4 feet 14,600 gallons, Above Ground metal construction, vinyl liner, sand filter Hayward S180T, Dynamo 1 HP pump. No SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
    1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    2. Chlorine CYA Chart
    3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    4. Recommended Levels
    5. Pool Math
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Well hello there! SO happy to see you and see that your have already ordered a good test kit!

How does your water look now? You are not going to believe how clear it will be using TFP!

We would LOVE to see a pic of your pool!

Kim
    Thanks for the warm welcome! The water is nice and clear, but I've currently got a persistent algae issue. Chlorine levels drop from ~3ppm to <1ppm overnight if the pool cover is off. I'm not sure if that's CC, FC, or TC, but guessing it's FC due to the precipitous drop, and thus the suspicion CYA is low.

As for pictures, I don't have anything recent, but here are a couple shots from pool parties a couple years back. We used to have a diving board, but I removed that about 10 years ago due to my daughter's then future ex-husband's tendency to jump as far out into the water as possible. I was certain he was going to break his neck on the slope into the shallow end. We did keep the slide, and that's been tons of fun, especially when you teach the kids to do a "butt slide"!

Water looks like this most of the time unless I get lazy and neglect the upkeep; I get a real wake up call occasionally!

Attached Images Attached Images
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

6. Back To Top    #6

Deleted - double post

7. Back To Top    #7

Now THAT"S a busy pool! You will chew-up some FC with that swimmer's load. Welcome!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

When will your test kit be there? I bet you will find the problem with your results!

Good idea about the diving board. Some people just look for ways to get hurt!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, when we have swimmers we usually have a lot of them! We've got a pool party for my youngest grandson's birthday this Saturday, so I've got some work ahead of me. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but it will be good enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazon says my test kit will arrive tomorrow before 8:00 pm. I expect it will be there when I get home from work. I'll test FC and CYA at least just to get some kind of baseline, but it's probably all out the window after the party anyway. I'll test again on Sunday to baseline all levels.

10. Back To Top    #10

The CYA will not change with the party.

Now the FC?????? Oh yeah that WILL change as it cleans up the water with all of those fun, loving people!

Do you PH and TA also. Those two have a lot to do with the comfort of the pool on eyes.

Kim