Krystal Clear model 637r filter pump

Jul 8, 2015
vancouver , wa
I have an Intex 16 x 42 above ground pool. I buy my chemicals from a very reliable pool retailer. He informs me that the pump is not big enough to circulate the much needed chemicals to maintain healthy water for swimming.. he also states that in order for the pool to be safe the pump must remain on for 24 hrs. I have spoken to the folks at Intex and they have informed me that this pump (model 637R) should not run no more than 8hrs. Rather than what the pool retailer informed me that in order for the chemicals to work effectively the pump must remain on for 24 hrs. I feel that the provided pump is not able to work efficently and effectively. I surely don't want my grandchildren comming over the next day and showing me a rash that they got due to the chemicals weren't circulated enough in the pool.
I have also seen many post about this particular pump and that many consumers have had to replace the pump. As many as 3x seen that folks have had to do during the hot summer. I ask here how many of you folks have had issues with this model. Lastly how long do you folks leave your pump on. I ask this question as if Infact the pump is to remain on for 24hrs Intex has not provided the much needed pump to do the job.
Thank you,
Peter Unwin
[email protected]

Peter, welcome back to TFP! The pump you are using certainly is a basic model issued with the pool. It is designed for a relatively small application and workload. I had a similar one at one time. Many Intex owners who are happy with their pool, and intend on keeping it for a few seasons, upgrade to a larger pump/filter model, sometimes even choosing to convert to a sand filter as well. Either way, I feel confident other Intex owners will reply to give you ideas on specific replacement pumps. If you do a search on this site for "Replacement pump and filter for my Intex", you will see several threads on this subject.

But I can say this ... when a pump is sized properly for a pool, and the water is chemically balanced (not doing a SLAM or fighting algae) the pump does not need to run 24/7. Remember, the pump doesn't keep the water balanced and clear, the chemicals do. The pump simply mixes it all around. Many, many people here will tell you they have their pumps programmed for water circulation anywhere from 3-4 hrs, or 5-8 hours. Some more, some less. Much of that depends on the amount of swimming your pool gets and/or debris from bugs, trees, etc. But to arbitrarily say the pump must be on for 24 hrs is not sound advice.

I hope this helps you a bit while you await some other replies. Enjoy your swimming season!

So tell me something please. I have 16 x 42 pool and have a 637R pump. Is this pump adequate and efficent for this size of pool. Again my pool supplier that I buy my chemicals tell me it's not. Intex states it is the right pump for the size of pool I have .

Yes, that pump is perfectly adequate to circulate the water in your pool and probably does not need to run more than 8 hours.

THE most important thing is to maintain enough chlorine in your pool. Chlorine is set based on CYA level and Chlorine CYA Chart. Always keep your chlorine at target level for your CYA. Never ever let the chlorine level drop to minimum level. Pools without enough chlorine are unsanitary, grow algae and at risk for person to person disease transmission.

You could run 10 pumps 24x7 and in an unbalanced pool you would still grow algae.

It is essential to maintain the chemistry in your pool. Pool School has that covered. Here are the basics to get you started.
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - PoolMath

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.