Time for a pool cleaner - need some help narrowing down my choices

santacruzpool

Gold Supporter
Feb 24, 2015
Santa Cruz, CA
I am about to purchase a pool robotic cleaner - and I would love any tips anyone has about which one would be ok for me.

I have done a ton of research on here and at the Maytronics site to try to diffentiate from all the similar models.

So far this is what I am thinking:

I am seriously looking at the Dolphin DX3S. This is the cheapest unit and I am about 70-80% sure it would do what I need for $~$600

I understand that it won't due the waterline tile - so I thought about going one step up to the Dolphin DX4S - for around $849

Then I thought, well if I am looking at $800-$900 units why not go just a bit higher, and so I have also looked at the Tiger Shark model, the Triton Plus and the DX5S since they have better cleaning and two front scrubbers. One or the other has a remote.

But - I am pretty surprised with how clean my pool is having very little dirt, debris, or hardly any leaves in it after sitting empty for the past 6 weeks. We have had tons of work, fences, tree trimming, stump grinding etc...and the pool bottom is really clean. In addition, we are going to have an automatic cover and that will eliminate a lot more junk getting in the pool.

I would love the robot to clean the waterline tile - but I am not sure that is really what they are designed for - and if the cover is one I am not sure how much it can scrub the tile. With that being the case I am back to my first option -the DX3S being a good choice for our pool.

So what do you think of my reasoning????

I'd suggest upgrade to top of the line. When you add it to the cost of the build it isn't much. Your already going with a premium pool, ultra premium finish and luxurious auto cover. Why skimp on the cleaner? Get a Dolphin Premier model. M500.

Yeah but $100 here $100 there it does add up.

I am certain I would be happy with any choice, but I always make an informed decision - not just top of the line. I can always justify top of the line if I really want to.

The real question is what does my pool need - and what cleaner will accomplish that!

I guess I should be more specific; I didn't technically purchase it online - I did however find the company selling other Dolphin products by doing a Google Search - I contacted them about the new Dolphin S Series products and they told me they were able to order it directly from Maytronics - but this was only after I spoke with them over the phone.

I could only find two dealers in all of Northern California using the Maytronics Dealer search. Since there is no dealer close to me I am a bit out of range of a "geographically close" dealer as Maytronics requires for "valid warranty" - At least that is what I was told when I called Maytronics. I didn't tell them who I was thinking of buying from.

In addition, I used my AMEX card which has a great extended warranty built in - so I should get covered by AMEX for an extra year IF Maytronics decides to not honor their Warranty. The written Warranty Terms on Maytronics site have no mention of the Warranty Covering Purchases from Authorized Dealers only or even "Geographically Close" as they told me over the phone. I do see their their big warnings on the main site stating that Warranty is void if product is purchased online - that is different than their official Warranty terms on their site. I will attempt to register the Robot when I have the serial number, and will contact Maytronics if I have problems doing that.

Worst Case - I will deal with the supplier I bought from, as they will be required by law to warrant the product if Maytronics refuses, and further I can dispute the charge if the unit dies in the first few months (if somehow I get no warranty, or no help from the seller). Finally, I can use the AMEX extended warranty if things happen in year 2.

I saved $500 compared to my pool builders quote - so I am already pocketing $500 as a kind of self insurance...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven't received it yet - and I think even when I do I will need to wait to use it for a few weeks as our pools isn't even filled yet.

On my build thread a user told me it works great for them - and then there is a recent review on the similar Active 30i unit on this sub-forum

OK - back to square one.

Supplier backed out of the order. Say they can't buy the model from Maytronics after all...

I am now thinking of the DX5+S - or possibly the Tritan Plus.

Alternatively, I am also contemplating switching to a different brand just because I don't particularly like the business practices of Maytronics.

--------------
Update: DX5+S is my newest choice - purchased and on the way. Having a 3 year warranty +1 year by using my AMEX is a bonus that helps soften the blow of not getting the "better" unit...

Santacruzpool - We bought the Dolphin s300i from a store here in Atlanta two months ago. I am sure they would ship to you! It was 1200.00. We LOVE it. Maytronics is very frustrating because they basically make proprietary models for different companies. Their U.S. Headquarters is just outside Atlanta and they were actually very helpful to me. We LOVE this cleaner and telling everyone about it. Happy to put you in touch with this store (locally owned and not a typical pool store) if you change your mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks AmJo - I saw on another post the company you got yours from, and I did think about contacting them.

However, I decided to just get the DX5+S model - I have it and I am just waiting for my plaster to cure a bit more before dropping the Robot in...

My robot is running around the pool as we speak - so far so good - I have only used it a handful of times so I have no long term results, but I love it so far. Really the only problem I have is how big the thing is - getting it up and down some stairs where I like to store it takes a bit of effort...I was surprised how big the unit is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.