Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there a correct order & method to add these?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there a correct order & method to add these?

I need to add about 36 pounds of Calcium Chloride, about 6 pounds of CYA and about 3 pounds of baking soda.
    Seeking advice on order to do so. I know to do the sock in skimmer for CYA. I am also assuming that I should probably not just dump in 36 pounds of a chemical but maybe do it in stages???

Any advice on methodology to do this chemical cocktail is appreciated! Also-should I anticipate any cloudiness at any stage or other signs that are not normal to the eye of a novice pool owner?
    Thanks!
    Memphis TN New to owning a Pool.Appx. 25,000 gallon inground gunite outdoor pool appx 20x40 curvy shape surrounded by 10 large crepe myrtles and other trees.Pool was installed about 20 years ago.
    Triton II Sand Filter Pentair Chlorinator 3" tabs Polaris vacuum 3' to 7' with a diving board. Taylor 2006 FAS DPD Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there a correct order & method to add these?

Do you have a liner pool? Any test results to share with us?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

You should ask this in your other thread. It's best to keep the "story" in one thread.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

My apologies!I had posted all the test results in my earlier thread today and didn't realize I should have continued the previous thread. I gave approximate amounts based on the pool calculator totals. I assumed that I wold most likely be checking and/or splitting input and perhaps modifying amounts based on readings over the time chemicals are added.
    As of last night from Taylor 2006 DPD FAS
    Chlorine was still really high (too high to register on Pentair Rainbow)and so was CYA (vial was filled but black dot still there.
    FC 6.5
    CC .5
    pH 7.4
    TA 80
    Ch 100
    CYA 80+ (i quit wasting the powder)

Here are test reults for Leslies and the premier pool guys in this area from last night:

As of last night:
    Leslies:
    FC 4
    TC 4
    CH 180
    TA 70
    pH 7.4
    Copper 0
    Iron 0
    CYA 0
    Phosphates 200

Pool Sharks
    FC 3.96
    TC 4.34
    CC .38
    pH 7.3
    CH 102
    TA 61
    CYA 21
    Copper 0
    Iron 0

I took it the the "store guys" bc I was new to the DPD FAS and wanted some type of verification (read HOPE).

Last night Chlorine was still high but had come down. I did add about 10 lbs of baking soda.

As of this morning here are the #'s:
    FC 9
    CC 1
    TA 100
    pH 8
    I didn't do the CH or CYA but I can. I just fear I will be out of CYA today!!! (on a fixed income here-Senior Citizen)
    Memphis TN New to owning a Pool.Appx. 25,000 gallon inground gunite outdoor pool appx 20x40 curvy shape surrounded by 10 large crepe myrtles and other trees.Pool was installed about 20 years ago.
    Triton II Sand Filter Pentair Chlorinator 3" tabs Polaris vacuum 3' to 7' with a diving board. Taylor 2006 FAS DPD Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

you're right. Dont just dump in 36 lbs of Calcium chloride in the pool.

Fill a 5 gallon buck with pool water and add CC to it until the water turns pure white, stir it with your hand. Dont be alarmed when the water in the bucket warms up considerably, and almost immediately. Thats normal.

Then pour the bucket in the pool.

Them mix another bucket full and pour it in a different part of the pool... and just repeat the process untill you have added it all.

Next do the baking soda
    then do the CYA
    (it really doesnt matter in which order you add these though).
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you so much for the advice!
    Can I do it all tonight and can the grandkids swim tomorrow?

7. Back To Top    #7

When you add the calcium chloride to the bucket of water I would be very careful stirring the solution with your bare hand. You may get a quick understanding of an exothermic reaction!
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart