Seems like I'm using a lot of bleach...need sanity check!

Feb 26, 2015
Buckeye, AZ
New pool owner - had pool built this spring. I've been using the trouble free method of maintenance, but seems like I'm using a lot of bleach and spending more to maintain it than I expected. I guess I'm looking for a sanity check and feedback from those of you who've perfected the method. I have a TF100 test kit and test my chlorine level daily. I add bleach (8%) as needed to raise the chlorine level back to my target based on my CYA (current target level is 6ppm). I live in AZ, so the hot days in the summer eat up a lot of the chlorine as I'd expect. Most of the days my chlorine level at night is ~2ppm. That means I'm adding 80oz of 8% bleach daily (some days a little more) so Im going though ~ 2 jugs every 3 days. Does that seem like a lot? This is my first pool so I'm trying to get a good feel for all of it. Thanks!!

Thanks for the feedback. CYA is currently 50. The pool is in full sun all day. I wondered about algae and did an OCLT a few times in the past 2 weeks and it was right around 1ppm so I thought it might be OK. I'll do another full test tonight and post results as well as the reading from the OCLT in the morning.

Thanks for the feedback. CYA is currently 50. The pool is in full sun all day. I wondered about algae and did an OCLT a few times in the past 2 weeks and it was right around 1ppm so I thought it might be OK. I'll do another full test tonight and post results as well as the reading from the OCLT in the morning.
Losing 1 ppm at 5 FC is a whole lot worse than losing 1 ppm at 10 FC. The OCLT instructions are written under the assumption you're ending a SLAM, which would mean high FC levels. Be sure to raise things before the test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.