Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Seems like I'm using a lot of bleach...need sanity check!

1. Back To Top    #1

Seems like I'm using a lot of bleach...need sanity check!

New pool owner - had pool built this spring. I've been using the trouble free method of maintenance, but seems like I'm using a lot of bleach and spending more to maintain it than I expected. I guess I'm looking for a sanity check and feedback from those of you who've perfected the method. I have a TF100 test kit and test my chlorine level daily. I add bleach (8%) as needed to raise the chlorine level back to my target based on my CYA (current target level is 6ppm). I live in AZ, so the hot days in the summer eat up a lot of the chlorine as I'd expect. Most of the days my chlorine level at night is ~2ppm. That means I'm adding 80oz of 8% bleach daily (some days a little more) so Im going though ~ 2 jugs every 3 days. Does that seem like a lot? This is my first pool so I'm trying to get a good feel for all of it. Thanks!!
    15' x 30'
    12,750 gallon IG pebblesheen
    3-5-4 depth
    Pentair variable speed pump
    TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Seems like I'm using a lot of bleach...need sanity check!

Got a CYA level for us? Is the pool full sun all day?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, that is a lot of bleach. It's either something growing in the pool, or insufficient CYA.

An overnight loss test will tell you if it's organics. (including algae) What is your current CYA? In Arizona I'd figure you'd want 50 or 60 CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Unless you have a lot of make-up water, I think that is a bit high. That is 4.1 ppm/day and I would expect 2-3 ppm/day. For sanity, perform an OCLT and report the results.... along with all test results.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the feedback. CYA is currently 50. The pool is in full sun all day. I wondered about algae and did an OCLT a few times in the past 2 weeks and it was right around 1ppm so I thought it might be OK. I'll do another full test tonight and post results as well as the reading from the OCLT in the morning.
    15' x 30'
    3-5-4 depth
    TF100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by deltorr View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. CYA is currently 50. The pool is in full sun all day. I wondered about algae and did an OCLT a few times in the past 2 weeks and it was right around 1ppm so I thought it might be OK. I'll do another full test tonight and post results as well as the reading from the OCLT in the morning.
    Losing 1 ppm at 5 FC is a whole lot worse than losing 1 ppm at 10 FC. The OCLT instructions are written under the assumption you're ending a SLAM, which would mean high FC levels. Be sure to raise things before the test.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Richard - so I should raise FC to 10 tonight?
    15' x 30'
    3-5-4 depth
    TF100

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by deltorr View Post
    Thanks Richard - so I should raise FC to 10 tonight?
    Somewhere around there.