Paver - Plaster Stains?!?

Jan 29, 2015
FL
So we signed contracts with a PB and a paver guy in March. The project was a resurfacing of an existing pool. New deck, new coping, new plaster, and tile etc. Needless to say - if something could go wrong it has. The project began March 15th and was supposed to take 3 weeks. We only had the pool surface plastered today and are filling it with water now 7/8/15!!!!

In any case - before the pool plaster was installed our paver guy warned us not to let the pool guy get any plaster on the coping. He said it would stain it permanently and that once it was stained there eas no way to remove it and we would have to replace it in order to get rid of it. So today the new plaster was installed and there are blue stains EVERYWHERE. All over the coping and all over the deck. I pancked and call the PB he told me not to worry - that it was no big deal that it was an inherently messy process and it always gets all over peoples decks. That it will clean up easy - they will use a pressure washer and possibly a scrub brush with some muratic acid. So who is telling the truth?n

Has anyone had any experience with this? Does it come clean and if so how much of it? Will I keep finding spots? The PBs solution sounds like a spot treatment - If I really start looking around its hard to find a paver that doesn't have some kind spot/s on it. I am afraid even if they clean it there is no way someone will find it all of it - unless EVERY stone is cleaned. I don't want to keep noticing new spots after I have paid everyone. :eek:

Your coping and pavers are so beautiful; I can understand your concerns. My plaster will come after the pavers. The mess being made now is huge, and much of it goes into the pool. So I'm not sure which way is better - first plaster then pavers or the other way.

I know one thing for sure..... My son will be covering all tile coping and decking before the plaster guys come. My son is making a good profit from doing these odd things for me!!!

Let us know what happens. I may be needing your information for my own travertine!!

Thanks and good luck! Suz.

Well he is willing to come back and says he can clean it - but Don't know if he can actually clean it or not. I have been lied too so many times throughout this process I don't know what to believe. Maybe he can fix it - I don't know. But I am terrified that he can't or that he will fix a lot of it but I will continue to find spots long after he has left with his check.

This is what I would try to do. After he says he is finished, tell him you can't check it until the next day or so. Do NOT pay him yet. Then get a bunch of friends over to help you look. Then go back over and take lots of pictures and review them.

Also find out how he cleans it (if it works). That way if a spot or 2 slip by you, then you can clean them.

Hopefully, others will have some different/better suggestions.
Suz.

My main concern would be that any cleaning or removal process will make the problem worse. I would have the contractor come over and show you what he plans on one tile first. Let it dry for 24 hours after the contractor has worked on it and then decide if you want him to finish.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.