Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: vacuuming a 18' intex above ground

1. Back To Top    #1

vacuuming a 18' intex above ground

I have a above ground 18' intex pool. Using a intex SF60110 1 hp pump. Problem: I cannot get suction from the pool while on the bottom for vacuuming. I went so far as to try bypassing the skimmer (old style that came with the pool) and plumb directly to the pump inlet from the vacuum brush, still no suction. I also have the square adapter than fits in the skimmer and then to the vacuum hose and vacuum brush, still no suction. I tried all the position on the valve, still no suction.

OK, what am I doing wrong.

Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: vacuuming a 18' intex above ground

I'll bet your vacuum hose is full of air, and your pump is losing prime. Hold the hose over the return eyeball until water flows out the other end. Then keep it under water until you get it hooked up and see what happens.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

3. Back To Top    #3

I had the same problem. It was the safety valve on the plunger sucking air. When I vacume I put a piece of tape over it and works great now.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman1 View Post
    I had the same problem. It was the safety valve on the plunger sucking air. When I vacume I put a piece of tape over it and works great now.
    +1

That valve is a vacuum break. My pump/plunger valves came with clear caps you could put over them.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!