Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time to Shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Smile Time to Shock?

Hi All,

I'm new here, desperately searching the web for a crash course in pool ownership. Our local pool store has been telling us to use non-chlorine shock to fix our out of balance Chlorine:

FC - 0.4
    CC - 3.4

Seems that based on what I've already read here, that the non-chlorine shock won't help this one bit.

Help, I'm ready to learn !

Thanks,

Kim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time to Shock?

Hello Kim and welcome! Lots of great advice and people here to help. If you want to learn TFPC, you probably need to start here:Pool School - Getting Started.
    #1 priority needs to be the correct test kit that can be ordered from here: TFTestkits.net. I have the TF-100 w/ speed stir and love it.

Lots more replies will be coming your way. Just do a little reading in advance, get your test kit, and we'll help you do the rest. Welcome!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool.

Add your pool info to your signature so we know what we are working with, more here, Pool School - Getting Started

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles to get you started.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! We've been taking our water into the pool place for testing once a week, I should do test kits instead?

5. Back To Top    #5

If you do a little research on this site, you'll see that
    1-nobody will ever recommend you believe anything the pool store tells you.
    2-we don't "shock" our pools, if there is an algae problem we SLAM.
    3-very very very important, if you want to take care and ownership of your own pool, you need one of the RECCOMMENDED test kits in order to properly evaluate your pool water.
    4-there are some really helpful and knowledgeable people here who truly want to help you make and keep your pool beautiful.
    5-this site recommends the use of liquid chlorine and not granular or tabs/pucks as a daily maintenance

I'm still very new to all of this myself, but you came to the right place. It's up to you to follow the rules and recommendations though. Good luck!
    12k in ground, 14x28 sports pool, concrete/plaster/diamond brite, uncovered
    Waterway 1.5hp pump, waterway 150sqft cartridge filter, auto chlorinator, on city water, Zodiac MX8

6. Back To Top    #6

That's correct Kim. Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart. Please make the test kit a priority and you will be pleased you did.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

HI KIM! This is KIM! LOL

Take it from one Kim to another...............IF you really want to clear, trouble free pool you have to get a good test kit. Look in my siggy to find the ones we use and love.

Yeah I know the pool store will test your water for free...........BUT is it really free if you have to buy x,y,z for $$ AND it does not work?????? NOPE!

Here at TFP we use stuff that you can get from Walmart! How neat is that??????

Let us know when your test kit gets there and we can help you use it. There are videos and every thing to watch!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit