Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC/"no" FC -- results depends on testing method

1. Back To Top    #1

FC/"no" FC -- results depends on testing method

Until last week both my pool "AquaChek strips", Taylor "BASIC" test kit" (K-1000) and the R0070 Taylor powder method agreed on the FC levels in my pool.
    But last week following an asorbic acid/ metal sequestation procedure to remove light rust stains, the tests I've done don't agree any longer. The rust stain removal procedure required me to reduce the FC chlorine levels to close to zero ( 0.5ppm) and then for a week to keep the FC at under 2.0ppm. That became a problem.

The AquaChek strips and the BASIC test kit kept showing "no chlorine" -- the strip pad remained white and the normally light yellow liquid was clear suggesting I had no chlorine even after I added liquid chlorine at the recommended level. Yet the Taylor "drop method" with the R0070 powder showed FC 1.5 to 2ppm. -- Beginning last evening I took the chlorine levels above 2ppm -- but still only the Taylor drop test shows chlorine now 4ppm. The other two still report no FC. Any idea why one testing method shows plenty of FC while another shows none?

FYI:

My CC is .5ppm or less. PH (7.3), TA(130), Phosphate levels less than 300. CYA is now 45-50 after a partial drain earlier this season.

Pool is absolutely clear with only minor evidence of dead algae in skimmer sock or on bottom.

Pool Strips are new this season and were working just fine earlier -- as did the Taylor daily test kit.

Any suggestions? Could it be a chlorine lock which effects one testing method but not another? I will try a SuperShock and see if the levels generally hold and/or FC results start to appear again. Can I just go with the Taylor drop method only? Thoughts, suggestions, explanations would be appreciated.
    Last edited by KazooTom; 07-08-2015 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Details

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC/"no" FC -- results depends on testing method

I would venture to say that your Taylor drop test kit (K-2005 w/ FAS-DPD or K-2006) is much more accurate. That's why TFP recommends it so firmly over the other methods. I would stick to the power/drop method from your FAS-DPD and ignore the others.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Pat, trust the FAS-DPD test and just throw the strips away.
    Which daily drop test do you have? The yellow OTO that comes with the TF-100 or the pink DPD?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The yellow OTO

Just added signature with some pool data.

No problem tossing strips away YET all tests were n sync this season before I reduced FC to remove rust stains a week ago.
    Kazootom [Portage, MI]
    In-ground 14'x29' backyard pool
    Vinyl liner, 13K gals, Sta-Rite equipment, sand filter, chlorine sanitizer
    [Biggest pool headache: "Spring Start-up" -- often w/ algae bloom, combined chloramines, depleted CYA, chlorine lock, etc.]

5. Back To Top    #5

What metal sequestrant are you using? It's possible that it is interfering with the test strip and OTO tests, though usually some treatments from Jack's Magic have the opposite effect of registering as CC.

Also, just to confirm, you are saying that the OTO "shades of yellow" test also isn't working?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

I thought chlorine lock was a money making myth created by pool stores?????
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    Chlorine lock is pool store speak for "we had you add so much cya with shock and pucks that your cya is through the roof and the chlorine can't do its job".

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    Less a myth and more a technical term for "I don't know what the problem is so just drain it." I wouldn't say it directly refers to overstabilization because that would require these pool store employees to know what overstabilization is and what causes it. It is just a catch all term used in the industry because it is much better than telling a customer that you are at a loss.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Less a myth and more a technical term for "I don't know what the problem is so just drain it." I wouldn't say it directly refers to overstabilization because that would require these pool store employees to know what overstabilization is and what causes it. It is just a catch all term used in the industry because it is much better than telling a customer that you are at a loss.
    Good point. If they knew about the fc/cya relationship they might actually figure out the problem. They don't really know what's wrong.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100