Copper Strips or Test Kit? Which one?

I supposedly, as told my my local pool company, have 2PPM of Copper in my pool. I think they are drunk. But, it's the only pool company around that tests for copper. So, I want to know what test kit or strips others are using to determine Copper in pool water so I can test myself. I see the Taylor test kit that TFT has only tests to 1PPM. We don't seem to have any discoloration or staining or green hair or anything...but, I'd like to determine the levels and proceed accordingly. Thanks for the advice in advance!

If you want a truly reliable number, get a sample bottle from a local laboratory (most will mail it to you) that does water testing, collect the sample and send it in. I sent my supply water in last year and they did a whole suite of tests for "water suitability" that included Calcium, Chloride, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Sodium, Conductivity, Hardness, Nitrate, pH, Sulfate, and Total Dissolved Solids. The mineral testing is all done with ICP-AES or ICP-MS. Likely you'll get detection limits in the 1 - 10 ppb range for the metals. That's actual 0.01 ppm detection or better, unlike pool store testing. $45 where I live.

You can just dilute your water sample with water free of copper and then use the Taylor test from TFTestkits, say 2 parts water to 1 part sample then multiply the result by 3. It's better than test strips but not as good as results from a professional laboratory.

Why would you need to pay to have this testing done every month? Might be interesting once to find out what you have, but then the normal Recommended Test Kits should be all you need.

+1 My post was a one time test recommendation to know the true value if you were curious and should not change unless you add copper products to the pool or attempt to remove copper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.