Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Copper Strips or Test Kit? Which one?

1. Back To Top    #1

Copper Strips or Test Kit? Which one?

I supposedly, as told my my local pool company, have 2PPM of Copper in my pool. I think they are drunk. But, it's the only pool company around that tests for copper. So, I want to know what test kit or strips others are using to determine Copper in pool water so I can test myself. I see the Taylor test kit that TFT has only tests to 1PPM. We don't seem to have any discoloration or staining or green hair or anything...but, I'd like to determine the levels and proceed accordingly. Thanks for the advice in advance!
    20x40 Gunite
    45,000G
    Resurfaced in 2005 with Epoxy Glass
    Hayward Super II

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Copper Strips or Test Kit? Which one?

If you want a truly reliable number, get a sample bottle from a local laboratory (most will mail it to you) that does water testing, collect the sample and send it in. I sent my supply water in last year and they did a whole suite of tests for "water suitability" that included Calcium, Chloride, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Sodium, Conductivity, Hardness, Nitrate, pH, Sulfate, and Total Dissolved Solids. The mineral testing is all done with ICP-AES or ICP-MS. Likely you'll get detection limits in the 1 - 10 ppb range for the metals. That's actual 0.01 ppm detection or better, unlike pool store testing. $45 where I live.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. So, no one uses any sort of 'at home' copper testing kit or strips? $45 seems like a lot to pay every month to have water tested.
    20x40 Gunite
    45,000G
    Resurfaced in 2005 with Epoxy Glass
    Hayward Super II

4. Back To Top    #4

You can just dilute your water sample with water free of copper and then use the Taylor test from TFTestkits, say 2 parts water to 1 part sample then multiply the result by 3. It's better than test strips but not as good as results from a professional laboratory.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Why would you need to pay to have this testing done every month? Might be interesting once to find out what you have, but then the normal Recommended Test Kits should be all you need.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Why would you need to pay to have this testing done every month? Might be interesting once to find out what you have, but then the normal Recommended Test Kits should be all you need.
    +1 My post was a one time test recommendation to know the true value if you were curious and should not change unless you add copper products to the pool or attempt to remove copper.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons