Bayside Build

DrDave said:
So Brad, what is your next project?

Funny you ask. My wife has been after me to build a playhouse/jungle gym/swing combo kinda unit for a while for the kids. :whip: She sent me a new link today in fact on some designs. While I probably should get on it before the kids get to big I am really enjoying the outdoor kitchen and new camper to much to want to do anything else right now. :cheers:

You ever built anything like that Dave? Should not be terribly difficult just need to come up with a design to fit the yard a do it I suppose.

Brad

hayfarmer said:
Brad, I am thinking about building something like you have.. If you don't mind me asking, What price range did you end up on your project... an estimate would be very helpful. And by the way you did a very nice job... Are you in construction?
thanks

Thanks Hayfarmer. Take a look at this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/bayside-build-material-list-t10848.html I posted a material list and cost breakdown here.

Nope not in construction but I do like home improvment projects. This is by far the biggest that I have taken on though. Just take your time and work through the issue and you will do fine. Also ask lots of questions if needed as many are here to help. Believe it or not I sell software for a living.

Brad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
foobert said:
Great build, thanks for sharing!

That texture in the stucco looks like it came from spray-on application. How did you do that?

Bigdawg said:
[attachment=1:3rjhpxgk]CIMG1241 (2).JPG[/attachment:3rjhpxgk]

Hi Foobert,

It was all hand trowelled by me. Definatley not a spray on application. Take a look at the first post on page 4 of this thread as it decribes the method I used to apply it along with pictures.

Here is a quick excert from that post on the technique I used.

Began by rolling on the concrete glue. While waiting for it to get tacky I opened the permixed and tinted 5 gallon bucket of stucco and used the paddle bit and drill to mix it one last time. When the glue was tacky I got the trowel and started applying it. I tried both the metal and wooden trowel as they each produce a different finish. The metal trowel draws more water to the surface giving a smoother finish. The wooden on produced a rougher more traditional stucco finish so that is the one I used. Worked the material on the cement board and after a few minutes really got the hang of it. I found it easier to start from the bottom and work up rather than from the top and work down. Being worried about thickness and trowel lines in the finish I had my wife look over me and point out and thin spots or bumps in the finish. This worked very well to have a second set of eyes looking after me. Once I was ready to move down a little I would use the putty knife to run across the edges of the cutouts to clean them up and provide a straight smooth finish for the edge. After getting the hang of it it went pretty fast. I took my time and did not get in a hurry and was able to get the front done with all the cut outs in about an hour.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Yes, I saw your description. Maybe it's that picture that's deceiving me, but, it just seems to have such a perfectly uniformly random texture that doesn't have the slightest hint of hand troweling :goodjob:

My attempts at stucco work have never resulted in anything resembling that, so, apparently I have much to learn :hammer:

Hey Brad
What's up? Still following NASCAR? I stopped doing the Fantasy game after most of the players lost interest. Who is going to win the cup this year?
BTW, we moved to Fallbrook and had a crane move our BBQ Island to our new home. It had to reach out 100' over the house to place it. I am glad I chose to use the metal studs and HB. Even with the granite top, it made it without a crack anywhere.
Dave

Hey Dave,

Good to hear from you. Yeah still following NASCAR. At this point it would be hard to bet against Kenesth to win it all. He seems to be on a mission for sure. The latest project I have been working on is setting up a 180 gallon saltware aquarium. I am been building a sump and running the plumbing lines for it. So far been a fun project.

You know it is funning that you mention moving and taking your island with you. When I was building mine I kept thinking what I would do if I had to move and how would I take the island with me. At one point I thought about building it in 2 sections to be able to move each straight section independantly. In the end opted not to go that route and decided if I ever really needed to I could rent a crane to lift it over the house. Several questions for you on that front if you dont mind

1. Did you start a thread on your move that would be better a better place to discuss the move? If not no problem and happy to discuss it in this one.
2. Do you have pictures of it being moved?
3. How was it lifted? Just straps under the bottom or did you slide it to a flat surface such as plate steel and lift the flat surface thus preventing adding stress points to the island itself?
4. How hard was it to find a crane company that you were comfortable with doing the job? Where they agreeable to doing it or did some think it was to small a job and not want to mess with it?
5. Did you have to get permits for the process?
6. And finally what was the cost of the crane if you dont mind sharing that.

These are all things I have thought about over the years if I ever needed to move mine. That would be my plan of course unless the cost was incredible high to rent the crane.

Hope to hear back from you.

Thanks
Brad

Hi -
Excellent cantilever design! I think I will incorporate that as opposed to my original thought. Looks like you just cut out the top plate for each bar stud ? Also -- do you think the framing screws will be ok or do I have to rivet?

Thanks - Wayne H

I am hoping someone can help out here and explain why the images are missing using a normal browser. I have had someone ping me saying they cold not see any pictures other than the first 5. Just logged in myself and it is the same for me.

Thanks
Brad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.