Biloxi, MS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
So I just filled up my new above ground pool yesterday and put my CYA in a strainer bag and hung it off the side rail in front of the return instead of putting it in the skimmer. This caused all the powder (28oz) to disperse throughout the pool quickly but it immediately made my pool very cloudy.

I know now that I should have put this in my skimmer and I beilieve I have read that it can take a few days for the CYA to dissolve but just want some reassurrance that this will clear up in a few days and that this is safe to swim in. I turned my pool light on last night and I could see the small particles swirling around the pool.

Thanks for your help.

I have a tf100 but have only done a few tests so far to get some bleach in there.

FC 10.5
PH 7.5

That's very unusual, but if you added Cya, it should clear very quickly. I can't explain it, but unless this was some unusually bad batch, or another product, I can't imagine you won't see it clearing very soon.

You did correctly by hanging the sock of CYA in front of a return. People can do it either way. I also hang mine near a return. It slowly dissolves, and I squeeze the sock periodically to help it disperse. Normally, adding stabilizer to your water will not cause it to get cloudy though. Have you added anything else to your water recently? Maybe for reassurance, post a full set of numbers from your new kit (FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA, and CH) just so we can check to make sure everything else looks good?

The best way is just how you did it. I just ran into the same thing. I have always found HTH cya from Wal-Mart dissolved faster than others. I just added 24 oz in a sock and it was gone the next day. It will still take awhile to show up on a test. The cloud should clear.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Yes the strainer bag had little holes in it and the cya was emptied from the bag in about a half an hour. The pool doesnt really appear to be clearing which has me worried.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it at all possible it has something to do with my sand filter and pump as to why the pool is cloudy? Should I backwash or anything?

I can post test results tomorrow morning when I get home from work

i have read that yellow pools could mean iron? Should i pick up some pool magnet from the pool store? to be clear the pool was cloudy greenish yesterday immediately after i put the cya in and now its cloudy yellowish. i can still clearly see the bottom but i want nice crystal clear water.

First of all- Have you read Pool School?

Second- the best way to add CYA is in a sock, cause as you see mesh bags don't hold powder too well. If you keep brushing it up into the water and let the filter run continuously it should all get picked up in the filter and dissolve there. Takes a week or so, and you DO NOT want to backwash your filter or you'll just lose all the CYA you just put in. Keep track of all the CYA you put in, and using Pool Math, use this amount in your chlorine considerations. As you may know as CYA goes up, your chlorine also needs to rise. The CYA-Chlorine chart in Pool School will tell you how much.

Don't pick up any strange chemical potions from the pool store until you have run your own full tests with the TF-100 and we can help you then.

Thanks for the help, I thought I was being smart by putting the cya in a hop strainer bag instead of one of my socks but clearly that didn't hold the powder well at all. I will run the filter 24 hrs a day and see if it shows improvement in a few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I made the mistake of over-using a tube-sock for my CYA. A few days ago I bent-over to squeeze and shake the sock to help disperse the granules/power, and the sock ruptured spewing all of my CYA granules on the floor of the pool. Not bueno! :( Needless to say, I am using a new sock. :)

The results are in
PH 7.5
FC 7
CC 0
TA 130
CYA 35

- - - Updated - - -

I made the mistake of over-using a tube-sock for my CYA. A few days ago I bent-over to squeeze and shake the sock to help disperse the granules/power, and the sock ruptured spewing all of my CYA granules on the floor of the pool. Not bueno! :( Needless to say, I am using a new sock. :)

Did your pool turn cloudy like mine did? How long did it take to clear? Did you vaccuum it up or just let it disperse?

- - - Updated - - -

I should note, their is no salt in the pool yet nor is the saltwater generator hooked up yet. ugh my pool looks terrible!

No, fortunately mine did not get cloudy. I just had to clean-up the granules from the pool floor. Typically, stabilizer will not cloud your water, and your readings look pretty good, so I would have no reason to think anything weird was happening.

Something else though since you just filled it up ... where is your water from (city or well)?

That may change things. If your water does not get any better soon based on your relatedly good numbers above, then I would suggest having your water tested at the pool store (I know - yuck). Just nod politely and ignore everything they say, but bring back the "metals" results. Well water can have metals which causes water to change color requiring a different plan of attack.

Doesn't change anything at this time. I would continue to run your pump so that the filter can try to assist with removal. If the suds get real bad, you can scoop some out manually. Once you are able to confirm any metals in your water by type and level, we should be able to assist in that area further. It's possible that the metal in the water is what's causing the green tint. We'll know more when you can confirm the results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.