Hayward H400 IF codes!! HELP!

Jul 5, 2015
Florida
Moderator comment: This post was separated out from this thread: Hayward H400 IF codes!! HELP!!

Here's my story: It all started with flames shooting up from the High Wind Stack on my H400PED2. My wife made a service call to my local Propane provider. Although I was not there to see, my son told me that the serviceman hosed it down to clean it because he said it was dirty.

When I decided to use it about a week later, it worked for a while then it would shut off and reset itself. Now it reads IF. My wife put in for another service call but I told her to standby since think I can handle this and almost all the service manuals point to the cleaning of the orifices. Before I begin this maintenance procedure I need a little help.

Actually, that heat exchanger looks to be toast. The fins on the right side look to have been cooked for a long time and are week and misshaped. That thing got real hot.

It's probably still sooted and I would pull the burner tray out. Cut off gas, remove union and a few other screws, and pull the tray out. BTW, do NOT try to vacuum it out. You will get soot all over as a vacuum will not contain the fine soot particles.

However,m that heat exchanger is not in good shape and will cause issues down the road since the heat can't exhaust like it should do to the fins being messed up. I would try to straighten them out either as you might break some off.

Unless that ball valve is different than every other one made, it's off in that position. While I would be more inclined to wash the heat exchanger with water, a shop vac with a good filter can catch the soot. I have a ridgid, and they make a 5 layer hepa filter for it. Vacuuming up soot with it would probably ruin it though. I can't speak to the condition of the exchanger, but the fins do look eaten up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas! I guess the only way to know for sure is to remove the exchange unit for a total visual inspection. Worst case scenario would be that I may have to buy a new exchange unit. BTW I do have a Rigid shop vac with the HEPA filter, (the filters are not too expensive and I just recently bought one from my local Home Depot).

I'll keep yall posted. I like finishing what I begin!

Definitely seen better days. As long as the tubes are sound, it should still work fine; just at a lower efficiency. I'm not sure what you can clean it with that won't possibly damage it further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is done for. See the turquoise color on the end of some of the tubes, usually indicates a leak sometimes. You also probably have a burner tube or two clogged with something. That's what usually causes the sooting up of the unit.

A new one is going to cost you around $900. Then you have to ask yourself is it worth it. Granted a newer unit is going to cost you between $2K-3K but at least it's new and you won't have to worry going forward.

Thanks guys...looks bad. Got to make some tough decisions. Looked over the turquoise colored stuff and all the tubes are colored that way inside and slightly on the outside by the ends that meet the front header. That looks pretty much similar to radiators with copper/brass fittings. None the less I will attempt to give it a good cleaning and install before I break out the rosary beads. Will keep you posted.

Well I gave it my best. I power washed it which took off about 99% of all the gook and soot. No obstructions left. Only that the heat exchange assembly is very well roasted in addition to a few bent fins and impact bumps that were probably made by the installer 8 years ago. Here's what I did find though: Inside the header I found the thermal control valve frozen in the closed position, (it's on order). Maybe that's what caused all this to begin with. I checked the burner tube orifices and they were all clean and not blocked.

I put it all back together and gave the heater a good trial at 96 degrees and it worked very good, (albeit at a slight reduced efficiency as mentioned per n240sxguy). Let her rip for an hour or so and all is well.

Thanks guys....yous dudes are awesome!

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 22

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.