Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preventing Algae While Out of Town

1. Back To Top    #1

Preventing Algae While Out of Town

I'm sure this is a common question but a quick search didn't result in any posts that were relevant to my specific situation. In a couple weeks we are going out of town and don't have anyone to add chemicals to our pool. We'll be gone about a week. I want to do anything I can to avoid a SLAM since I have already done two this year and we've only been in the pool 3 times! LOL (Yeah, I'm a noob. )

So far, I have only been using PH down and liquid chlorine as needed. CYA is at 40 and we run the filter 24/7. I have a bottle of non-copper algaecide that I was thinking about adding. Good idea or no? Also, should I leave the solar cover on or off? What else should I do with the chemicals, oh wise ones???

Thank you in advance!
    Kelly
    ~~~~~~
    32x16 rectangular vinyl in-ground pool (21,000-23,000 gallons?) filled with well water. 24" Hayward sand filter & a Hayward super pump (unsure of model # or specifications). TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preventing Algae While Out of Town

Our usual advice for those who must leave their pools unattended for a week or more is to raise the FC to shock level, put on a pool cover if you have one, and run the pump on a timer if cleaning the skimmer is not an issue. Since your CYA is on the lower end, you can put 1 or 2 pucks in a floater and leave the cover off if you leave the pump running on a timer. You can add a dose of polyquat based algaecide as insurance if you wish.

If you have a lot of debris that drops in the pool and will clog the skimmer if it is not emptied regularly then just raise the FC to shock level, cover the pool if you can, and turn off the pump.

Most of the folks who follow this advice come home to pools that just need a good vacuuming and an overnight bump to shock level to be ready to swim again.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would ask yourself These questions:

1). What is your average daily FC loss?
    2). About how how much liquid chlorine do you usually add each day?

If your FC maintains, there should be no reason for a commercial algaecide that might add other things to your water.

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Our usual advice for those who must leave their pools unattended for a week or more is to raise the FC to shock level, put on a pool cover if you have one, and run the pump on a timer if cleaning the skimmer is not an issue. Since your CYA is on the lower end, you can put 1 or 2 pucks in a floater and leave the cover off if you leave the pump running on a timer. You can add a dose of polyquat based algaecide as insurance if you wish.

If you have a lot of debris that drops in the pool and will clog the skimmer if it is not emptied regularly then just raise the FC to shock level, cover the pool if you can, and turn off the pump.

Most of the folks who follow this advice come home to pools that just need a good vacuuming and an overnight bump to shock level to be ready to swim again.
    We don't get a a lot of debris or stuff through the skimmer so we are cool there. I'll probably just shock it, leave the solar cover on, and pray. LOL Is there any benefit to (or problems with) raising the FC higher than the recommended shock level? Also, what's the purpose of running the pump on a timer? I was just planning on leaving it on 24/7. Is that a mistake?

Thanks so much!!!
    Kelly
    ~~~~~~
    32x16 rectangular vinyl in-ground pool (21,000-23,000 gallons?) filled with well water. 24" Hayward sand filter & a Hayward super pump (unsure of model # or specifications). TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

I know it isn't necessary and it uses more electricity if you run it 24/7. I'm not exactly sure of the draw backs of running it 24/7, other than those; but someone else will pipe in.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]