Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM Advice?

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM Advice?

My pool has been clear all season but I keep having my FC drop to 0 since my SWG went out. We've been gone a lot.
    So I decided to SLAM just in case there's any algae or anything I can't see?

This was my before.
    So when I started I got my pH to 7.3. Then I added enough bleach to get me up to a 12 FC. My CYA is 30. Those were my 2pm #'s
    After that I only checked my FC.
    At 6pm my FC was down to 8, so I bumped it back up to 12.
    We went to the movies and I checked again at 8pm and I was down to 10, so I bumped it back up to 12 before bed.
    Woke up this morning and checked and it was FC 11, CC I can't tell if it turned pink or not, if anything it was .5.

Should I continue one more day? Or do I just let the FC drop now and then maintain?

5300 Gallon AG Vinyl pool
    Intex 2500g pump
    TF-50 Test Kit
    Location Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM Advice?

What does the water look like?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I made sure I passed two OCLT as added insurance against testing errors.

I see you have given a CYA level, but your signature states that you do not have a CYA test.

Where did you get that CYA result?

Doesn't the DPD test top out at 5ppm? How do you know you were indeed at those ppm's above that?

http://www.lesliespool.com/taylor-te...kit/k-1004.htm

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I haven't updated my signature. I purchased the T50 kit, and brought my CYA up like 2 weeks ago.

Intex 2500g pump
    TF-50 Test Kit
    Location Texas

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't know how to update on the app, I'm not on my computer

Intex 2500g pump
    TF-50 Test Kit
    Location Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

The current state of my water, I need to vacuum again, I just have a cheap small one and its a pain, I'm hoping once I can get in I can get more of those leaves out

Intex 2500g pump
    TF-50 Test Kit
    Location Texas

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks good to me, I think pre-emptive SLAM is done. It is safe to swim when chlorine is between minimum and shock level. We swam every day for a week and a half while slamming, with cya 70 and FC in upper 20s. Jump in and get those leaves!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

So I decided to do one more OCLT since we had a busy day anyway yesterday.
    After sun went down my FC was 4.5 (9 drops, am I supposed to say .5? Or do you round?)
    6am way before suns up
    FC 4.5
    CC .5
    TC 5
    PH 8.2
    CH 25
    TA 180
    CYA 30

I know my PH needs to come down before we get in. Is there anything else I need to do right now?
    Also to maintain, when do I add bleach? Once a day? Or twice? Is it better to do in the morning or evening?
    Is my pH climbing because of the TA?
    And should I add more stabilizer to maybe 40?

Intex 2500g pump
    TF-50 Test Kit
    Location Texas

9. Back To Top    #9

personally I would raise your FC and re-do the OCLT, the reason is your FC is pretty low and you are getting CC readings. to me that makes me nervous you might have a little bit left.

as far as the higher FC (recommended for OCLT by the way)...your FC is 4.5. a 0.5 drop in FC would be an 11% decrease in FC. if you lost 10%, its below the margin of error for the test (0.5ppm).

if you lost 10% of your FC when your FC was say at 15ppm, then that would be a 1.5ppm drop.

when I did my SLAM I did two OCLT to verify and didn't finalize till I had zero CC
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

10. Back To Top    #10

missed that part that it needed to be higher for oclt!
    Ok, so reading the SLAM page I'm supposed to lose less than 1ppm FC and have CC at .5 or less?
    Also clear water.
    Based on that I assumed I was good?
    I didn't read on the OCLT page that it needed to be higher so I just grabbed what it was after resting all day and went from there. There was no loss overnight at all so I once again assumed I was good to go.

Intex 2500g pump
    TF-50 Test Kit
    Location Texas

11. Back To Top    #11

It is recommended to do the OCLT with FC at 10ish. But if you lost 0 I think it is ok. Although it never hurts to do another.
    Your ph is too high, needs to be 7.2 to 7.8.

Raising CYA is a good idea in Texas, 40 or even 50.

Add bleach whenever is convenient for you. Just make sure that when you do you add enough to keep it at target until the next time you test and add. You will get a feel for what that is.

Key points to remember about chlorine
    should always be at or above target
    should never, ever drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary and algae will grow
    It is safe to swim in FC between minimum and shock level.
    Yes, it is safe to swim in your pool with FC a tad below shock level.
    Chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach